The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this has probably been asked a million times, if it has, I appologize. I'm trying to get into shooting/hunting with a recurve bow. I've been hunting for a long time now with a compound bow, but I'd like to get started with a recurve. It's been a long time, probably close to 20 years since I really shot much with a recurve. I need some help deciding on a bow and arrows. I'd like to start off with a lower priced bow for now. What's decent one the market as far as the lower end and what about arrows? I have a 28" draw, what types of arrows can I use. When I shot a recurve as a kid I always had wooden arrows. How about aluminum or carbon. How do I judge size/weight I need when using a recurve. Kind of clueless on all of this, when I first started shooting as a kid I just used whatever arrows my grandfather had given me and just shot out back, eventually after I shoot for awhile, I'd like to hunt with it, so kinda looking at what I need to get started in that direction. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
You've already mastered the most important part- asking for help.

You can find cheap used recurves on craig's list, the HPa classifieds or trad sites, like Tradgang.com or Stickbow.com also Archerytalk.com. Tradgang probably has the biggest selection but prices can be better found elsewhere.

Bob Hildenbrand posts here has quite an assortment of used bows for sale. Excellent prices too. He has new bows as well. He's about 10 minutes off the turnpike near Greensburg. Going to a trad shop gives you the opportunity to test each bow and find the one that suits you best.

I prefer heavy laminted birch arrows for hunting, but I just discovered a set of fiberglass arrows that has me smiling wider each time I shoot!!

Dont "over bow" yourself. It's better to master form -and fun- with a #45 bow rather than suffer with bad form and inconsistent arrow placement from a he man heavy draw bow. #45 will kill an elk so you dont need to worry about draw weight.

There are some really good bowyers in SW Pa now so you may want to look them up. Tim Duvall, St James Longbows, and several others have really nicely priced bows for a new custom. Martin makes some really nice trad bows for a good price as well.

Most importantly is to have fun. You dont have to give up hunting with your compound- if you dont feel comfortable with the 'curve.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts