The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what the average cost is to have hot dogs stuffed with cheese and jalapenos is? Also, what part (hind quarter, shoulder, etc.) is best for making the hot dogs?

We do our own butchering, but the other year I had some hot dogs made this way and they were delicious.

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
I think I paid $2/lb for them at Thompsons in Jersey Shore last year. All my ground meat goes together, whether its a hind quarter, shouler, flank, etc. Most likely if you're getting them made at a commercial processor you won't be getting your own meat back anyhow.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I think Kips Deer Processing in Carnegie charge about $3.25 per pound for jalopeno and cheese dogs. They are delicious. I'd like to get a recipe and figure out how to do it myself though.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Kip's charges $4.50/lb for the jalapeno and cheese dogs.

$4.00 for 'regular' deer dogs.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Yeah, I think they did raise some of their prices. Their J and P deer dogs are delicious. I am trying out a new deer dog recipe I found online, and I am adding the jalapeno and cheese just prior to stuffing them into the casings. The first round did not turn out perfect, but I am going to tweak the recipe a little for the second round.

I will share it when I get it close to Kip's.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I pay 3 bucks a pound for hot pepper cheese dogs from a place in Reynoldsville PA....as far as best cut of meat it doesnt matter whatever you use for your usual grinding meat will work just fine for hot dogs...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I had my deer done as follows, one hind quarter turned into dry beef, 10 lbs fresh sausage, 10 lbs Italian sausage, one hind quarter steaks, the rest burger, sausage and burger has 25% pork, fillets amd backstraps as well. Total cost 97.00.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Dry beef = cow, Dry deer = deer

Cheapest way to go, as they cure the 3 round cuts of meat from the hind qtr and cure it. Amazing the high prices a shop can get, isnt it. If you get jerky and sticks etc etc, you can easily get over $200.oo per deer with the processing added, but oh so good.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Uncle Johnny said:
Yeah, I think they did raise some of their prices. Their J and P deer dogs are delicious. I am trying out a new deer dog recipe I found online, and I am adding the jalapeno and cheese just prior to stuffing them into the casings. The first round did not turn out perfect, but I am going to tweak the recipe a little for the second round.

I will share it when I get it close to Kip's.
Thanks. That would be greatly appreciated. PM me when you post it, if you think of it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where did you get your deer processed at John S? I don't live far from Lancaster County. Berks county prices are starting to get salty.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Off the Kirkwood pike south of Quarryville, Noble road butcher shop.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use Noble Road whenever I don't have time to do it myself. Last deer wa one hind dried and chipped, and the rest split between Italian sausage and bologna with jalapeño cheddar. The only regular cut kept was the back straps. My bill was $93. Most of the other places in the area charge twice as much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts