The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting minimum coverage so I can ride my ATV on State Forest trails. Does anyone know an approximate annual price for ATV insurance?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
My SXS insurance is $32.00 a year through State Farm . Liability insurance is all that is required in Pa. I've heard ATV liability is even cheaper .

·
Registered
251 Posts
I pay $44 for a Yamaha kodiak, Pretty sure it more then needed, I have the limits pretty high just for peace of mind.
I imagine $30 for the least, Progressive has all three atv wrapped into one.
Never understood how they can give you full coverage on something your going beat up. A buddy hill climbed a Grizzly 660 up at tower city, rolled end over end, slammed down into the pond...covered. New everything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
"BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $11.00
BI $100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT"

06 Kodiak cost for liability

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
This is why I tell all owners of UTV or ATVs and dirt bikes , it just makes sence to have it . Better to have it and hope you never need it .

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm paying a lot more than the prices listed and it just went up. I intend to shop around for a better price.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
joe8768 said:
I am paying $90 for my new Polaris ranger Full coverage
Joe

Who are you with? I'm paying over $150 for the Teryx!

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Thanks Joe

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
I sell ATV insurance.A lot of companies have a minimum premium of 75-100 dollars.The liability is extremely cheap,usually less than $12/year but that will depend on age,driving history,type of machine,multi-policy discounts etc.I can usually write a married adult with full coverage for under $100/yr.Since the minimum premium is $90/yr,it just makes sense to keep adding coverage until you hit the 90 dollars.

I have 3 ATV's and a dirt bike.I would never not cover them fully unless they were pretty old.Homeowners doesn't cover them in Pa for anything and your auto doesn't cover them when trailering them.Last summer,my kids twisted two of them up pretty bad and did about 7k worth of damage to them.The 90 bucks was money well spent.

I have hundreds of ATV's insured and really only ever had a couple claims each year until the Can am commanders and RZR's hit the scene.People destroy those things on a regular basis.ATV insurance used to be pretty cheap because the risk really wasn't all that great.I'm predicting that's about to change.People are demolishing these side by sides every day and the claims are big,especially when you add in the cost of all the aftermarket accessories.That brings up another point,if you have a lot of money in accessories,make sure you add them on.Most policies have a limit of 1k-3k so if you have more than that,add it on.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I totally agree dce. I sell insurance as well. People need to understand to carry insurance on these machines. Also don't skimp on liability limits, personal injury can occur just as easily on these machines as your auto. The days of cheap coverage for these things will be in the past with the rise of cost on these machines.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
Most of the liability issues revolve around kids and alchohol.Kids do stupid things.They ride their friends and they let their friends ride them.That's a liability disaster waiting to happen.A few years ago,one of my cutomers let his uncle and nephew take his RZR for a ride.I never even knew he had one so it wasn't insured.His wife called me in a panic because the nephew hit a tree,killing the uncle.It was family so nothing happened but it could have been catastrophic.He never did get reimbursed for the rzr which was destroyed.

I live in a rural area right on the edge of Elk county where you can pretty much ride most of the twp roads.People run the roads around here to get there,which is illegal.Generally speaking,if a cop pulls you over and you stop and have your insurance and registration handy,they usually let you skate.

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
deerchaser said:
I totally agree dce. I sell insurance as well. People need to understand to carry insurance on these machines. Also don't skimp on liability limits, personal injury can occur just as easily on these machines as your auto. The days of cheap coverage for these things will be in the past with the rise of cost on these machines.
I agree.The RZR's and commanders are going to kill the rates.Rather than just surcharging them,everything will take a hit.It won't surprise me if they just stop insuring them.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
dce - You said that Homeowners doesn't cover them in Pa for anything. wold my homeowners cover a theft from my garage or hunting property

·
Registered
21,262 Posts
No.The only motorized vehicles covered under a HO policy are ones used strictly for the maintenance of the property.If you can prove that you use it strictly for plowing snow,pulling implements etc and it never goes on a trail,you may have a case.It would be a tough nut to crack though.I only know of one instance where that worked.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
dce said:
No.The only motorized vehicles covered under a HO policy are ones used strictly for the maintenance of the property.If you can prove that you use it strictly for plowing snow,pulling implements etc and it never goes on a trail,you may have a case.It would be a tough nut to crack though.I only know of one instance where that worked.
I have my JD Gator on my HO Policy. Of course since they don't have a title, I think they are considered farm equipment. I also don't take it on any public trails.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
[ I have 3 ATV's and a dirt bike.I would never not cover them fully unless they were pretty old.Homeowners doesn't cover them in Pa for anything and your auto doesn't cover them when trailering them.Last summer,my kids twisted two of them up pretty bad and did about 7k worth of damage to them.The 90 bucks was money well spent.[ QUOTE ]

Please explain . My understanding is my trailer ( hooked ) to my vehicle is covered , but the contents of the trailer are not . Correct ?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts