The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between a .357 or .44 mag. revolver. What's a box of 50 cost nowday's if i buy them over the counter?

I do reload, rifle shells. Is there much difference in cost of reloading .357 vs .44's.

Tanks for any info,

·
Registered
904 Posts
not sure on exact prices , but i can guarantee the .44s are fairly expensive, my .45 colt is right around 50 bucks a box for plain jane lead balls. Plus with the .357 you can shoot .38s and theyre cheap

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
What are you planning to use the gun for? If you plan to hunt deer with it, I'd overlook the price difference and just get the 44. If you are just buying a revolver for S's&G's, then you can save a few bucks with a 357. I own both, and would never take my 357 hunting over my 44. JMO.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Like JM said one thing nice with the 357 is you can shoot 38's in it.I use a 357 Ruger Blackhawk for hunting and with the Big Bore Ammo it will take anything around here a 44 will.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
What? I don't pay anywhere near 50.00 a box for Hornady Lever evolution rounds for hunting for my .45 colt ammo and cowboy ammo that I use for practice is not even 20.00 a box. Buffalo Bore ammo for a .45 doesn't even cost 50.00 a box and they are expensive. I think you need to fid a new ammo provider.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Easy to reload, just an extra step in flaring the case mouth to accept the bullet. That's with all straight walled cases. I reload for my SBH 44 mag and its much cheaper than factory ammo once you get into it.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Last time I bought (and it will be the last time since my 1894 wont group them) leverevolutions they where $24-28 a box of 20rounds. My SRG and my 1894 both really like the Winchester soft point rounds. Bought a box at Wally world the weekend before bear (I'am the kinda guy that just feels better with more ammo) paid $40-42 a box for 50 rounds.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Could be but I bought a 50 round box of Mag Tech .45 Colt cowboy loads for $28.00 at Enck's Gun Barn not long ago.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
If shot thru the vitals with good ammo the .357 Mag will take any deer in the state of PA just as cleanly as a .44 Mag will. It is more than enough gun with the right ammo in it and a dang site more pleasant to shoot for any length of time. That be my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If you reload for rifle, do it for handguns as well. The cost savings will be greater than rifle ammo, and you can load any power level you like, from light .38 loads all the way to full house .44's-bullets are cheaper and you use only a small amount of powder compared to a rifle. I can't imagine being serious about handgunning and not reloading.

Will

Will

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about cost. The difference is small in factory loads.

The thing I would look at is the intended range. If you looking to hunt with a revolver with open sights a 357 will suit you fine. Longest you will want to shoot is 50 or so yards.

If you plan on scoping it I would go with a 44. You will be good to 100 yards or a little more.

For what it's worth I use a 357. Used to use a 44. For my style of hunting a 357 works fine. I chose to use a 357 as the gun is much smaller.

Even though I have 44 stuff (loaded rounds, dies and such) I would would go with a 357 and a 454 casull w/ a scope. The 357 is great for close stuff. Sitting with a hundgun you might as well anty up for a 454 with a scope for the rest. I'm noy a huge fan of scoped hand cannons, but if I got another gun (454) that is what it would be.

Many will disagree, but the 44 has oulived it's usefullness.

Of ourse you can do everything I mentioned above with a 44. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ACEarcher said:
hunt/fish365 said:
Please explain why you think that?
I second that question! For all around field use in PA, I can think of no gun more versatile than a 44. Don't get me wrong, I love my .357s and 38s. But if you had to have only one gun - I'd pick a 44 mag over a 357 any day.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
ACEarcher said:
357mag-38special
44mag-44special

The 44 has a down graded load also.
But if cost is his most weighted criteria AND he is not determined to hand load, then the 357/38 combo wins. The factory cost between 44 mag and 357 mag is negligible. But the factory cost of good 44 spl ammo is higher than both, while cheap 38 spl ammo is easy to find. Not an issue for me, because I hand load all of my 44 spl ammo.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
PeteMacMahon said:
ACEarcher said:
hunt/fish365 said:
Please explain why you think that?
I second that question! For all around field use in PA, I can think of no gun more versatile than a 44. Don't get me wrong, I love my .357s and 38s. But if you had to have only one gun - I'd pick a 44 mag over a 357 any day.

Up to 50 yards either will do the same thing to deer size game. The ranges at with most non-scoped handguns are used. Past that a 454 would be better, and the guns weights the same.

With all that said I may have been a bit hasty. The 44 is a versatile round. It was top dog at one time too. The one thing that makes a 44 nice is that the recoil isn't too bad for most shooters.

If I'm going to be carrying a full size handgun, I want it to be able to have full size power. Not the huge X-frames, but most large frame revolvers are chambered for both 44 and 454. It doesn't cost too much to shoot 45 colt.

My next hunting handgun will be a 454.

·
Registered
893 Posts
we are talking about buying in bulk and on sale.Once the brass is "paid for" my 44 loads cost me 7.50 for 50 rds.
those are my hard casts. Can't say what that'd cost me if I bought everything today.
i still got primers I paid 12 bucks per 1000 for.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks much, for all the input guys.

It sounds like the .44 is a better round for my intended use (hunting deer.Bear).
The local gun shops are pricey for pistol shells, and I haven't had time to get to a reasonably priced store.
The price of both of these calibers seem to be close.
I'm more worried about the cost to shoot one given my current job situation.
Can some one tell me what it typically costs for a box of 50 of .357, .44mag , .38 spc and 44 spc..
And a ball park figure of what it would cost to reload 50 of each if i had my own brass.

Appreciate it..

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Last time I bought 357's they were around $25 for 50 in less expensive brands, and $15-$20 for 38's. 44's last time I bought them were 35-40 bucks. Never bought 44 specials to know. They don't sell a whole lot of them so they will cost more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts