The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get some 30-06 reloaded, I got a quote from a guy that it'd be around 20 bucks a box. I told him I just wanted 180 grain psp and want the factory remington core lokt specs if possible. But at factory prices, if rather just get factory loads. Anybody think these loads could be done cheaper?

·
Banned
751 Posts
20 for reloads is a expensive, unless he is finding a load for your gu. And loading them specifically to make your rifle shoot better. If you are supplying the brass the component cost will be about 10 bucks per 20.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I will be supplying the brass, and I always thought that reloading was much cheaper than buying factory, that's why it came as a surprise to me. I just wanted the factory specs or as close as he could get with a psp.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yeah under 10 bucks in materials.... but even at $20 the reloads should be a lot more accurate than factory corelokts.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I don't mean to hi-jack your thread here,but I have a question about loading to factory spec. I've been handloading for about 15 years,and I've heard guys say they load to factory spec. I've never been able to find any data on factory loadings other than speed. What am I missing?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
That's probably all you will find. Buy the bullets used in the factory load you choose to replicate, then study reloading manuals til you find a load for that bullet that will match factory velocities.
Not sure why you would want to do this though. Most people reload to exceed the performance of factory ammo.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was hoping reload to shoot for a lower price, but if deuce280 is right about them being more accurate ill get a few rounds and see what they shoot like

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Well true for the most part,but...
My 22 hornet shoots Winchester 45 grain sp really great, and I can't get it to shoot my handloads as good. I can get close, but never as good as those particular factory loads.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
RayRay said:
They are cheaper to reload if you don't count your time. If he is charging for his time you are getting a bargain.
+1.... if you really take your time with your loads, you can have a few hours in a box of 20.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
BUCKSLAYER15 said:
My 22 hornet shoots Winchester 45 grain sp really great, and I can't get it to shoot my handloads as good. I can get close, but never as good as those particular factory loads.
OT for sure, but........

Take Rocky Raab's advise, start crimping with a Lee Factory Crimp die and if your not already, use small pistol or Rem 6 1/2s primers.

You should see quite an improvement with your handloads using that combination.

Bill

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes. All new brass gets primer pockets sized & flash holes reamed. When reloading I resize one night. Then the brass hits the tumbler, clean the media out, then the reloading begins.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
RayRay said:
They are cheaper to reload if you don't count your time. If he is charging for his time you are getting a bargain.
You beat me to it. Can't expect the guy to do it for nothing. That's exactly why I quit loading for anyone except myself and my dad. Everyone wants it done for free just so long as it saves THEM some money.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't mean to get anybody fired up I'm not familiar at all with reloading and that's why I asked. I'm not asking him to do it for nothing

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm not fired up. It takes time & time is money. I reload for family & friends. Most are barter though, I reload, you allow me to hunt your land, or something like that.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Just did some calc. At current cost of primers, powder,& sierra bullets,(premium bullets are more) it would cost just under 10 dollars for 20 rounds. That is just those 3 items not brass & time.
Premium bullets would be .40 a round instead of .20 a round or around 14 dollars for 20.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Without going to look I believe it is my old lyman reloading manual that lists a "factory duplication" load among the list of powders and charge weights for each type of shell.

·
Super Moderator
7,775 Posts
If you want to shoot VOLUME, you want to find a light charge (more loads per pound of powder) and a CHEAP bullet....for a 30-06, a 150-ish grain FMJ is probably the ticket.

But....if you're going that route, check out the CMP and see what Greek surplus 30-06 ammo (known as "HXP") is running these days. I wanna say it's probably in the $0.50-$0.60 per round range, which is likely a better deal if you just want ammo for range time.

Resighting a rifle is quick enough to do, and then you can shoot much cheaper, not fuss with handloading, and then zero back to your factory ammo for hunting season. If you're using a quality optic and note your sight change when zeroing the milsurp ammo, you can simply reverse those changes in the late summer/early fall, and I bet you'll be within a couple clicks of your old zero, if not dead on, when you shoot hunting ammo.

OR....look at getting used reloading gear (not hard to find with some patience) and get tooled up to reload! It's a fun aspect of the sport, and worth doing if you have any interest whatsoever. It's not as hard as it may seem.....really.

·
Registered
297 Posts
reloading aint cheep no more, and components are getting harder to find. you guys see the prices of primers on gunbroker? thats the only place i can fine primers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts