The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just made some corned venison out of a doe hindquarter, muscles separated and trimmed up. I used the recipe in the link below. Turned out exceptionally well! Couldn't be much simpler. After corning in the brine all week, I simply rinsed it off, threw it in the crock pot yesterday morning, covered with water. About noon I threw in half a head of cabbage and some taters. Added a little black pepper at the table. Yum!

https://honest-food.net/corned-venison-recipe/

Next on the list is Pastrami. It's in the fridge curing now. I already make my own chipped deer with tenderquick and smoke. Pastrami isn't much different, just a pinch of nitrates and other spices added.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Don't care much for corned meat but I do like pastrami & dried beef made from deer. Have done both several time, always comes out great. Even made deer heart pastrami twice. A few people said they didn't like heart but it was good. Good luck with your pastrami.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Sounds Yummy!! I always make a batch of corned beef/cabbage on St Paddy's Day. Will have to try with venison!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you guys care to share your methods for making dried/chipped venison? I process everything pretty much myself except or the dried venison. I take it to a local butcher to have it done and it is really good but I would like to do it myself.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you guys care to share your methods for making dried/chipped venison? I process everything pretty much myself except or the dried venison. I take it to a local butcher to have it done and it is really good but I would like to do it myself.

Chipped venison is about the easiest thing in the world to make. I'll never take to a butcher again. The recipe I use is:

1 Heaping Tablespoon of Morton's Tenderquick per pound of meat. I like to debone and separate all the hind quarter muscles, trim out the fat/arteries. It makes it easier to handle and cures quicker/better.

Weigh the meat, put in a plastic zip lock gallon bag, dump in the required TQ and massage around/coat the meat thoroughly. Put the bag in the fridge for 14 days. Flip bag and massage the cure into the meat every day. After 14 days, remove the meat and rinse/soak to remove excess TQ. Smoke on the smoker (or you could bake in oven) for 2-3 hours at 250º for chipped deer. I don't even check internal temp anymore, but it's probably about 140º at that point. I don't do dried deer, which is basically the same thing as chipped, just smoked longer until it dries out more. I like mine more juicy, like lunch meat consistency.

Slice thinly, bag and freeze.

·
Administrator
28,744 Posts
To corn venison simply means to soak it in brine.

For 25Lbs of venison
5 Quarts of cold water
8 Oz.s Salt
3 Oz.s #1 Nitrite Cure

Put a new trash can liner in whatever container you're using to corn the meat. Put the meat in there. Mix up the water, salt, and cure. Pour the brine over the meat. Close the container and put it somewhere 38-40 degrees for 5-6 days. Pickling spices can be added when the corned meat is to be cooked.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Chipped venison is about the easiest thing in the world to make. I'll never take to a butcher again. The recipe I use is:

1 Heaping Tablespoon of Morton's Tenderquick per pound of meat. I like to debone and separate all the hind quarter muscles, trim out the fat/arteries. It makes it easier to handle and cures quicker/better.

Weigh the meat, put in a plastic zip lock gallon bag, dump in the required TQ and massage around/coat the meat thoroughly. Put the bag in the fridge for 14 days. Flip bag and massage the cure into the meat every day. After 14 days, remove the meat and rinse/soak to remove excess TQ. Smoke on the smoker (or you could bake in oven) for 2-3 hours at 250º for chipped deer. I don't even check internal temp anymore, but it's probably about 140º at that point. I don't do dried deer, which is basically the same thing as chipped, just smoked longer until it dries out more. I like mine more juicy, like lunch meat consistency.

Pretty much what I do expect I add 1 tsp. brown sugar per # with the TQ. Plus I like mine dried out more. Take IT to 158 them when done smoking put back in frig for a week to keep drying more.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I make this with a simple recipe using garlic salt, black pepper, pickling spice, and curing salt. I finish mine by boiling only, and then cook in crock pot with kraut to make Rubens. I was always told pastrami is smoked corned beef, so corned venison isn't smoke and pastrami is, that's just what I have always heard.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yes pastrami is just smoked corned meat. I started corning the breasts of 5 geese on 1/7/20 . I'll give them 8 -10 days of corning then rinse them and coat them in course ground coriander and pepper and smoke them for about 4 hours. Also thin sliced the breasts of 3 geese on 1/7 and I'll let that marinate until tomorrow and then smoke til dry for jerky. Two tasty ways to use geese.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So, I followed the OP 's recipe for Corned Venison and it was tender and tasty but I would leave out the Thyme and Cinnamon next time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts