The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A lot of silage has been taken off. A lot of corn has already been picked around here since we had quite a dry spell in august/September. With all this corn down I'm very intrigued how various animals will be displaced. Coon will probably be condensed in the corn that they can find. Foxes will be interesting to see. Any predictions?

·
Registered
6,378 Posts
My prediction- normal dispersal for local predators as the crops are taken off. Be aware of the crop harvest and set up accordingly <span style="font-size: 8pt">(pick 'em off at the pass and one step ahead of the Corn picker)</span>.
In-season scouting will help you see where and what predators are doing, as the season progresses. Keep your eyes open.

Tons of Acorn, in my area, for Raccoon this season, which they're feasting on right now. But most folks don't make 'woods sets' or 'big woods sets' for trapping Coon. Most folks think water = Coon. Trails between Oak ridges and Corn fields will be hot spots for Coon. Once the Corn is off, Coon will continually be on the Acorns.

Most Coyotes live in the Corn all summer, in my area.
As the Corn comes off, they move to another standing Corn field, then another.
Once Corn is gone (usually most property owners want Corn off by rifle Deer season) Coyote will be sleeping in dense cover. Also, Archery, Small Game and Big Game hunters always seem to push Coyotes in and out of areas, displacing them at times, which keeps me guessing.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
coons are in the acorns cherries and grapes around here.

been running the dog some, they tell ya where the coons are!!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
We have almost no acorns this fall on my place. Last year had very few as well. Huge oaks no acorns.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts