The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We wanted to try some corn on my son's property in Bradford county this summer.Soil test says we're good to go and we may have access to a planter. So we have two questions. Whats the best row and plant spacing for corn just to feed deer and is there a prefered variety of corn?

Also we wanted to try some winter rye this year. Any opinions on Pennington Winter Grazer? Just want to make sure we're getting cereal rye not rye grass.

Thanks, good hunting
Bob

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Not sure I'd worry too much about buying a brand name of rye. Bought rye locally last year for $13 per bushel, 56 lbs.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Rye surves a dual purpose, fall food and also greens up very quickly in spring, providing high quality food for pregnant does.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CJBS2003 , we have about 1.5 acres to try corn in. Most people say that isn't enough but it's what we have. Last year the deer ignored our spring oats so we hoped they would let the corn grow then in the fall we would have corn,rye and brassicas scattered about the property .

·
Registered
228 Posts
Stiffknees,
I plant small sections of corn with borders of brassicas and this seems to be very attractive to deer, especially during rifle season and later. I would use a round-up ready corn, and you may have to use a specific type seed(round, flat, medium round, etc.) if the planter requires it.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Hopefully you have better luck then we did. Our spring plots dont get hit often. Planted corn and it got slammed, maybe 10% made it to mature

1 - 8 of 8 Posts