The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your opinion on what Gov. Corbett's role in the firings was? I heard a couple different theories floating around. The following was taken from Wikipedia:

"Corbett became governor on January 18, 2011. One of his first actions was the proposal of a new state budget that would decrease spending by 3%. The proposed budget received significant criticism due to its cuts in state-supported higher education by 50%. Under the new budget, funding granted to the 14 universities of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and state-related universities Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Lincoln would be cut in half, totaling $625 million."

Now if I remember correctly, Paterno and Spanier fought this extremely hard because it directly effected Penn State. And now Corbett is on the Penn State board of directors. Seems a little funny to me that the two men that were in opposition to him are now out of a job? Now granted, there were other factors behind their firing, but IMHO, all of the trustees had a little bug in their ear in Tom Corbett.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Only thing you can say is this is about power and money.

Not 100% sure about this but I think Corbett automatically went onto the board when he was elected Gov.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Birch812 said:
Not 100% sure about this but I think Corbett automatically went onto the board when he was elected Gov.
You are correct, along with 6 people appointed by him.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
rlfb74 said:
Whats your opinion on what Gov. Corbett's role in the firings was? I heard a couple different theories floating around. The following was taken from Wikipedia:

"Corbett became governor on January 18, 2011. One of his first actions was the proposal of a new state budget that would decrease spending by 3%. The proposed budget received significant criticism due to its cuts in state-supported higher education by 50%. Under the new budget, funding granted to the 14 universities of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and state-related universities Penn State, Pittsburgh, Temple, and Lincoln would be cut in half, totaling $625 million."

Now if I remember correctly, Paterno and Spanier fought this extremely hard because it directly effected Penn State. And now Corbett is on the Penn State board of directors. Seems a little funny to me that the two men that were in opposition to him are now out of a job? Now granted, there were other factors behind their firing, but IMHO, all of the trustees had a little bug in their ear in Tom Corbett.
The firings could have been because of differences over budgets.

But I think it's more likely the firings could have been about some other item that's been in the news lately...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
"Normally, the scandal at Pennsylvania State University would raise crippling questions about the integrity of Gov. Tom Corbett. But because this case involves allegations of child abuse, we have suspended judgment. We have also forsaken allegiance to principles we pretend to hold dear, such as the presumption of innocence, fair play and the rule of law."

Read the rest here. It is an important view from an outsider.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-11-13/n...ury-joe-paterno

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I just posted that article on my Facebook page.

·
Registered
19,651 Posts
Don’t go tossing facts into an emotional feeding frenzy now.
This is going to take years to straighten out this tangled web. All the publicity is going to make life 10X tougher for the true victims involved to get on with the healing and their lives.
I am sure the scum sucking ambulance chasers can’t wait for the investigations to end so they can get on with filing the civil lawsuits that surely will come.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
bearhollow said:
"Normally, the scandal at Pennsylvania State University would raise crippling questions about the integrity of Gov. Tom Corbett. But because this case involves allegations of child abuse, we have suspended judgment. We have also forsaken allegiance to principles we pretend to hold dear, such as the presumption of innocence, fair play and the rule of law."

Read the rest here. It is an important view from an outsider.

http://articles.courant.com/2011-11-13/n...ury-joe-paterno
The article's headline suggests that the law may have been ignored in Paterno's firing. But was any law violated by firing him? I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is Paterno part of the teachers union? If so, I would think that they would be fighting to get his job back, seeing that he broke no law or violated any NCAA rule.

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
There is no teacher's union.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Penn State isn't a part of the Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculties (APSCUF)?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts