The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Corbett and PA filing Federal Lawsuit against NCAA

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Wiz 
#1 ·
#5 ·
bearhollow said:
And the NCAA has no business in criminal cases that don't involve the team being sanctioned.

If PSU signed off on sanctions based on false information, this game has just begun.
Agreed. How false it is I'm not sure about, but definitely one-sided, biased, and incomplete.

#6 ·
GIE said:
bearhollow said:
And the NCAA has no business in criminal cases that don't involve the team being sanctioned.

If PSU signed off on sanctions based on false information, this game has just begun.
Agreed. How false it is I'm not sure about, but definitely one-sided, biased, and incomplete.

The complaint filed uses pretty harsh language while describing how the NCAA forced PSU to accept the sanctions, describing those sanctions as "devastating, long-lasting, and having irreparable effects on the Commonwealth, its citizens, and its economy".

Rodney said he agreed to sanctions based on the NCAA threatening the death penalty. The NCAA (Emmert) denied this. The complaint outlines that there were threats by the NCAA if Rodney did not comply with their decision on sanctions even if the issue was outside their area of enforcement.

The NCAA relied on the Freeh report instead of doing their own investigation. There is no doubt that the Freeh report is incomplete and has many inaccuracies at best. If the NCAA had done their own report, they would have had to justify why they were getting involved in a criminal case, which they had never done before and they had no rules that addressed criminal behavior.

BTW: The NCAA (Emmert) response to this is shameless. Shows how clueless these clowns are.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/550546-corbett.html

#7 ·
I think it's great. The NCAA had no right to get involved in a criminal case, and this whole thing had nothing to do with them.

Can someone tell me what NCAA rule PSU broke to deserve the penalty they handed down?????

#9 ·
buzz said:
I think it's great. The NCAA had no right to get involved in a criminal case, and this whole thing had nothing to do with them.

Can someone tell me what NCAA rule PSU broke to deserve the penalty they handed down?????
None. The NCAA used an obscure clause that allows them to arbitrarily punish a member "for the good of the game", whether or not they actually broke any rules. It was a cop out, the NCAA trying to make it look like they were being proactive, when there was nothing to be proactive about. The criminal case hadn't even begun, yet the almighty NCAA already knew the straight poop, and had all info they needed to act. I would be shocked if the NCAA pres didn't get this advice from Goodell himself.

#10 ·
So now... With all we know, and have yet to know...& perhaps will never know..
We are to believe Penn State is a victim ? How sad.... It was a den of thieves and liars Paterno, Sandusky, PSU, The scum bag President, A/D & every other person, business, enterprise who benefited from covering this up for 20+ years...all with significant reasons to act complicity ...PSU as the place, the institution that enabled & covered up the most atrocious vial despicable Monster, criminal who prayed on children....& ..peddling influence that perpetuated criminal activity at practices, locker rooms, games & associations... Providing the animal predator with a hunting ground, and the bait via the PSU football program & a legendary coach to attract these children...& then unceremoniously dismiss the many signs & signals of depravity on and in their hallowed campus in the PSU name...
I can't believe any one associated with PSU before, then or now is willing to pick the scab and re-open the wounds associated with this PSU horror story....
Unless they are CYA'ing or working pre emptively for re election....
IMHO... Save it ! Take your much deserved medicine... You shoulda got much much worse...

#11 ·
I feel that this was a criminal matter. It was handled in the court system, and those responsable for this crime have been, or are still being, prosicuted for their crimes.
The guilty partys are being punished, as they should be. PSU will pay a hefty price in reputation,which will effect furture enrollment etc.. as well as law suits from the victems.

I still can't see where the NCAA had a dog in this fight. As far as I am concerned the NCAA stepped way past their jurisdiction on this one.

#13 ·
oilcrk said:
So now... With all we know, and have yet to know...& perhaps will never know..
We are to believe Penn State is a victim ? How sad.... It was a den of thieves and liars Paterno, Sandusky, PSU, The scum bag President, A/D & every other person, business, enterprise who benefited from covering this up for 20+ years...all with significant reasons to act complicity ...PSU as the place, the institution that enabled & covered up the most atrocious vial despicable Monster, criminal who prayed on children....& ..peddling influence that perpetuated criminal activity at practices, locker rooms, games & associations... Providing the animal predator with a hunting ground, and the bait via the PSU football program & a legendary coach to attract these children...& then unceremoniously dismiss the many signs & signals of depravity on and in their hallowed campus in the PSU name...
I can't believe any one associated with PSU before, then or now is willing to pick the scab and re-open the wounds associated with this PSU horror story....
Unless they are CYA'ing or working pre emptively for re election....
IMHO... Save it ! Take your much deserved medicine... You shoulda got much much worse...
I understand your displeasure with this, but tell me...

That small restaurant you own in town, the one that makes 75% of its annual revenue from September thru December....you're willing to take your medicine, shut it down for good, move out of town, and look for other employment because of the criminal activities of 5 or 6 men?

Seriously?

I think not.

Punish the guilty.

The institution was and is not guilty, but nonetheless, it is suffering the consequences by association. Simple as that.

#14 ·
Guys, pls don't mis read my post or read into it....the facts are irrefutable...so now" to big to be responsible" is an argument?? Or it's a restaurant impact issue?
I understand that PSU that feeds the local & regional area makes it immune to all this? WOW... Pass the blue cool aid... It makes this offense OK?
All ...of this Was enabled & occurred under the flag of PSU.... & a football program that generated 60 million dollars a year.. & an estimated 1 billion dollars during Paterno's reign... So, look the other way?
How do you know its just 5-6 people?
& The fact that it can't rise to or cant be made criminal is interesting to me SINCE the Govenor is on the board, was a investigating prosecutor... & faces re-election stinks to high heaven.... Can't be collusion can it???? You can't make this up....
Since it's A NCAA institution, a educational institution where our children go....to learn...It Cant be possibly more infuriating....or un imaginable...
Hey PSU With great power comes great responsibility.. This has nothing to do with the affects on a restaraunt or small business....it is a great power locally, regionally & nationally...that chose unbelievably to protect the cash cow....a legendary coach & not the kids???
I think NCAA has every right & plenty of leverage & issue & insight into this....
Issue...cause it occurred on their watch too in their organization... Come on

#15 ·
Pursue the guilty with a vengeance like no other.

To seek punishment, to ANY degree, for the masses associated with PSU regardless of their affiliation (students, businesses, sponsors, etc.) is simply unfounded.

#16 ·
oilcrk said:
Guys, pls don't mis read my post or read into it....the facts are irrefutable...so now" to big to be responsible" is an argument?? Or it's a restaurant impact issue?
I understand that PSU that feeds the local & regional area makes it immune to all this? WOW... Pass the blue cool aid... It makes this offense OK?
All ...of this Was enabled & occurred under the flag of PSU.... & a football program that generated 60 million dollars a year.. & an estimated 1 billion dollars during Paterno's reign... So, look the other way?
How do you know its just 5-6 people?
& The fact that it can't rise to or cant be made criminal is interesting to me SINCE the Govenor is on the board, was a investigating prosecutor... & faces re-election stinks to high heaven.... Can't be collusion can it???? You can't make this up....
Since it's A NCAA institution, a educational institution where our children go....to learn...It Cant be possibly more infuriating....or un imaginable...
Hey PSU With great power comes great responsibility.. This has nothing to do with the affects on a restaraunt or small business....it is a great power locally, regionally & nationally...that chose unbelievably to protect the cash cow....a legendary coach & not the kids???
I think NCAA has every right & plenty of leverage & issue & insight into this....
Issue...cause it occurred on their watch too in their organization... Come on

If you’re going to claim PSU as an institution was involved from the head down, then maybe the next ones on the chopping block will be schools like Notre Dame, Boston College and Seton Hill. Being run by priests guess that makes them suspect to abuse also??????????
The most guilty is going to be in jail for the rest of his life, the next one some want to point the finger at is dead forever, and then next group will have their days in court.
Corbett filing the suit was the first thing he did since taking office I agree with. Let the state reopen the scab as you put it, in reality this lawsuit can’t make what happened any worse for the victims, PSU’s image or peoples opinion of Corbett. NCAA tried to play judge, jury and executioner and now will have to explain their actions to higher authority

#18 ·
If those colleges in your corner of fantasy land...colluded & covered up like the PSU crew did then lock em all up...
But... back to reality @ PSU..where it actually occurred ...is a member of the NCAA..
Their actions or lack of actions reflected & impacted all of the NCAA who I'm sure have executable penalty options & discretion options for compliance issues...for all their members...as member based association their is no requirement of law, no court room, no judges....
All That aside & said in PSU's case .It's always the cover up & not the crime...
How delusional can anyone be ...to miss the connections for a cover up...
All in under the flag of PSU
The governors on the board & He was the DA who did nothing
The whole crew is being charged criminally "from one slimy head down"
They tried to protect a legendary coach who escaped via his own mortality..
PSU paid this President 3 million dollars !!
PSU just ante'd up an additional 1.3 million a yr to OBrien? Totaling 4.0 million a yr?
So the 60 + millions of dollars that continues to fly around after the crimes of Sandusky And there is no basis for considering PSU institutionally hadnt colluded, covered up?
and it was only Sandusky..& his predator crimes.who they kept around for 20 plus years?
By the way he applied for a coaching job at Leigh College & was turned down because they uncovered child monster accusations & activity ... & big bad PSU had no idea????
Yeh right, Pass the Purple cool aid , reverend Jones!!!!

#20 ·
#21 ·
Based on what I have read from the Grand Jury report, the entire Sandusky tragedy could have been stopped early on if high school coaches would have reported events that they saw and if police departments and district attorneys would have done their jobs. Either Sandusky was very convincing or everyone turned a blind eye.

The NCAA wanted to jump on the bandwagon and did. They issued penalties on violations out of their jurisdiction, solely based on a one-sided and incomplete report. Now they will have to answer to them in a court of law rather than the court of public perception. If they were justified, they should be able to easily prove their case. If not, the sanctions should be lifted.

The only way the real truth is going to come out in this entire tragedy is if the pot continuously stirred. This is the only way that I see doing any justice.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.