The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They ran copper tubing upstairs, but never hooked onto it. The upstairs line looks great. The 4-5 inches outside underneath the camp looks like an older/tarnished penny. I was wondering if there was any prep work I should do it prior to hooking up a compression fitting to it and marring it with the main propane line? It's 3/8 in diameter. I don't want to sand it clean as it will lose some of it's diameter and strength. Would I be ok just hooking on to it and checking it for leaks?
Thanks...

·
Registered
779 Posts
I used compression fittings and the gas company made us change to flare type fittings.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The CODE is Flared on Flammables. Most all over you can Solder or Braze but it is difficult if you are not in the trade. There are also some new products out that are being used in NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION that your gas company might pass. I ran a gas line in my home to feed a gas drier and some gas logs in my fireplace. I used screwed black pipe with Galv fittings and adapted to Flared at the devices. How long has Copper been in basement? Have you strength and leak tested it to make sure it is not damaged? A friend that is in the HVAC OR PLUMBING trade can be a biggg help.
Taking cahaces with PROPANE CAN BE FATAL!!
Smage
PS: I am sure you can find someone nearby that can be of assistance If not PM me for more help
Smage

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
OSOB said:
I used compression fittings and the gas company made us change to flare type fittings.
+1 on that. We had to do the same and change to flare fittings.
Also you may want to blow out the line first because a spider can clog up the system.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Just redid my whole camp this pass spring in black pipe, after some scum bags broke in and stole most of the copper.
One of the best updates I have made. For a good discussion on the subject and pointers on how to install black pipe go to this old thread of mine.
http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthrea...586#Post2532586
Squeaks, I don't think my camp is very far from yours, just south of Renovo, they been stealing copper in the area off and on for some time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
smage1 said:
The CODE is Flared on Flammables. Most all over you can Solder or Braze but it is difficult if you are not in the trade. There are also some new products out that are being used in NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION that your gas company might pass. I ran a gas line in my home to feed a gas drier and some gas logs in my fireplace. I used screwed black pipe with Galv fittings and adapted to Flared at the devices. How long has Copper been in basement? Have you strength and leak tested it to make sure it is not damaged? A friend that is in the HVAC OR PLUMBING trade can be a biggg help.
Taking cahaces with PROPANE CAN BE FATAL!!
Smage
PS: I am sure you can find someone nearby that can be of assistance If not PM me for more help
Smage
Why did you use galv fittings ? I was taught never to use galv on gas.Never looked into it just took their word.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Galv fittings have less chance of voids in casting they are also malable so stress cracks and subsequent leaks are less likely OLD plumbers advice!
Smage

·
Registered
820 Posts
huntRodG said:
Why did you use galv fittings ? I was taught never to use galv on gas.Never looked into it just took their word.
I was taught the same thing. I was told there is a chance the galv will flake off and clog gas orifices. But I was also told they is why you install a drip leg so it shouldn't be an issue. Personally I put galvanize pipe on the exterior of our cabin because I'm too lazy to paint the black pipe.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
you cant use galvanize pipe on gas , will not past gas INSPECTION. you can only use flare fittings , not commpression,black steel good, but now a days we dont use that anymore either, we use track pipe, ward flex, gas tight, i am uti certified, for all gas lines inside and under ground,

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Was always told no galvanized, Black pipe is OK to use but not galvanized. Ward flex, or Gas tight even better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts