The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know how anxious I am to get out. 3C looks brutally cold all week. With plenty of meat in the fridge I am a 2hr hunter at best.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Yup, its going to be a little chilly. Heavy poly pros under 100% wool pants, wool socks in loose mocs or if its really cold muklucs. Heavy long wool coat and lined wool hat and your warm, and just as important for tomorrow, quiet.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It is 25* here and very windy !
The wind is what does me in and makes me really cold !
But if the snow stays it will be worth the walk in the woods ?

·
Registered
967 Posts
The wind is what makes it brutal. The heater body suit comes in handy in these temps. I have a Pennsylvania Tuxedo and other Woolrich pants and coats and they are fantastic. I try to avoid the HBS in Flintlock but with these temps forecasted when I'm tucked in the blind I think I'll wear the Woolrich and the HBS.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kinda ticked that I took my blinds down....my plans are to just sit along a field/gas line corner and intercept a doe as it comes to feed. Problem is it's on the top of a hill, so if there is any wind you feel it.

·
Registered
18,921 Posts
Colder the better as far as I am concerned. Nothing beats still hunting in frigid temps and some wind.

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
Santa brought me a 100% wool Turtle Neck sweater from Ireland. I been looking for one for years....very heavy can't wait to try it out.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
As others have said its the wind that gets me. I can sit in the cold and be ok but cold and windy not so much. Dosent help that since my chemotherapy 3.5yrs ago my circulation to my hands isnt the best and they get cold real fast.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I once shot A Doe, with a Flintlock, when the Temps was -17 Degrees. This probably 40 Years ago. Can`t do it now !!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thank God for the chemical heat pack handwarmers! If sitting, I put one under my hat and on the back of my neck - amazing at how warm you feel. I'll be out, will try to convince some friends to do some pushes during the week. If doing that, I have a better chance of staying out there as opposed to sitting. Good luck, looking forward to some pictures being posted.

Jay

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'll sit in the barn over looking my food plot, it's a over grown farm that I bought so the barn made a great setup for a food plot

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I'll be bundled up and setup an hour before daylight. Gonna sit a few hours and then do some small pushes in the afternoon. I'll be cold I'm sure, but it beats the heck out of the rainy, foggy opener we had last year!

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I'm stuck in the house with a health issue or I'd be out there right now. Hoping to get out later in the season. I've already shot one deer this season, so its not a real problem for me to sit it out some, although I'd prefer to be out there.

·
Super Moderator
13,002 Posts
I am done too hard to get Buck by yourself deer are not moving ..Too cold for me ..I am seeing road hunters but no one in woods ...

I would think deer would be moving as they need to feed more during very cold weather. They are moving through my yard on these cold days during the daylight.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed the same thing Born2Hunt - deer are moving at any time of the day in our area as well. Probably seeing them moving more now in the middle of the day since it is a bright full moon.

·
Banned
2,432 Posts
I've been sidelined this season with a medical problem. Right now I'm not that concerned about missing out because its simply too cold for me. I can handle the low 20's but when it gets into the teens I'm out. Besides, I shot a doe with the flintlock during rifle so its not a total loss. There's a slim chance I may be able to get out the last weekend or two of the season if all goes to plan but if its still this cold, then I'm done hunting until spring turkey opens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts