The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well anyone having any success ?? Got a young hound turning it on in a big way ?? Tell some stories.. Our Sioux Zee is treeing a bunch of em. Ole Blue is semi retired and under the weather right now with an infection, Vet has him on meds. Hides are worth nothing, so only those who truly love the sport are out there. Nice weather extending the good running nights. Post something guys !!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got to pups early last spring, 2 different litters a couple weeks apart. They just turned a year old. Male dog is doing real well, I'm really pleased. He'll run and tree a hot coon, still needs lots of time but I'm happy. The female I got is slower to get started, she'll go out and hunt and run some track, but not doing much treeing. Can't beat this weather really, staying warm and giving more time to run these pups. I've knocked a couple out to give to the pups, but I'd rather just run and tree them to run again. I'm hitting some tracks still near corn fields, haven't found much on the mountains though. Where's every body finding their coons at?

·
Registered
570 Posts
We've been having a good season so far! Been treeing several coons every night. 2 nights ago was the first time this season I haven't looked at a coon.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still having decent weather and still treeing coon. More den trees now due to a lot of the half wit coon being dead. The seed coon know to head for home when they hear a hound. Post some more guys, warm this thread up..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got started this spring, and to say the least i'm hooked. I have a red tick female she's now 15 months and doing real well. I've still been trying to get out 2-3 nights a week. I've been finding them every night i went out for the last 2 months until this week.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great !!!! Long chase with a boar at the end, guess they are starting to look for love in all the ole den trees !!!! The old boy's loving days are over via Sioux Zee and Blue !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Treeing some boars, I believe the rut has started here.

Reactions: MDestruction410

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sad news... My Will's Creek Blue Tree Hammer has passed away. Ole Blue Boy will be missed. Sioux Zee can get it done, so she has big shoes to fill....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sorry to hear that. My female is getting up there in age,she will turn 13 this February. I want to get her a few more coon while she's still able to.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Last night was the first I've been out in a month or so...work has been busy...my days off have been too cold/snowy..

3 drops...a den with visible coon and 2 treed coon..was a good night...might head out tonight if the girlfriend doesn't come over...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Treed another last night...

First 3 drops were dry...not sure why...I did see a fresh roadkill an hour or 2 before dark...maybe moved a bit early..

Another cold spell it looks like...hopefully my next days off we can get back in the woods! I enjoyed the last 2 nights in the woods!

My friend was down the farm this morning with his grandson...his grandson let my dog out...he typically won't leave the farm and I like they let him out as I can only let him out for so long every day...

I guess ole Duke took himself hunting lol...he didn't make it far...a few hundred yards down the pasture stretched out on a big den on the creek bank...

Once in a while a coon that doesn't know any better shows up on the farm lol...

Couple years ago we had a wild chase...in the barn milking cows and all heck broke loose...a coon wandered in and my buddies dog was in the barn...ended up treed on the side of the feed cart lol...coon couldn't find his way out quick enough lol...

·
Registered
129 Posts
5 dumps saturday night. 1st one no good. 2nd ended in a creek where the water washed away the roots for 20yds. Coon may have been there but couldn't find it under the trees. 3rd and 4th ended with small boar coons in trees. 5th dump was slicked. overall a great night. I'm with Mauser... not enough time in the woods this year.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well guys season is over, now to keep these hounds tuned up for next year... Some of Y'all will get some pups to start.. Keep the thread going if you want with training stories or pictures... See ya at the tree !!!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a pleasure hunter not a fan of scorecard hunts. Any of y'all doing the competition hunt circuit ?? I support those who like the hunts and go to them, they are just not for me, I like to relax in the woods, not compete.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm at a hunt or show almost every weekend.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it's a new year and we are getting the rust knocked off lil Sioux Zee... She is doing a nice job, this old coonhunter is all smiles !!! lol...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tree'd 5 saturday night in a small hunt put on by my brother in law. Also had one of the dogs meet up with a car. Luckily he is recovering.

Largest coon ended up being 25.5 lbs and we won heaviest coon that night! Hoping to maybe get the dog out for a run this evening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
im not a coon hunter much as i run mainly cats and greys. i did run a coon the other night just cause i was pulling in my driveway and one was crossing the yard. i gave him a half hr and turned hound loose. did good and keeps him practiced up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts