The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 4 coonhounds but my oldest bluetick, "Boe", is almost 5 and this yr he seems to be having a tough time with cold tracks. He has never trashed in his life not even a possum or cat, he will not run anything but coon. He is a close hunter, very obedient and my best friend. I never leash him and he checks up on me regularly. But this year he seems to be messing around with cold tracks much more than he has ever in the past. It is generally muddy in most of the places we go and when I see that he is all over these old tacks ill lead him onward and he will eventually come. This season I had just started hunting him with another of my dogs, 1 1/2 yr old bluetick pup, and they work well together but could this be the cause? It is frustrating and I was wondering if anyone knew anything that could help me out. Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would say the reason your seeing this is because this year there is so much moisture in the ground that the scent is sticking long.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I would tend to agree, I would say as wet as most places are this year, it is a lot easier for a dog to pick up a cold track, and try and burn it...............

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i agree also that the damp ground will hold scent longer also but i have also seen that as a dog gets older it will take or try to take older tracks.
and you may be correct in that running with the other dog has brought this on some. even dogs that work well together compete. he may be working the older track to get it before the other dog. to me it wouldn't be a fault. i love a cold nosed dog and seeing them work up a cold track to a jump.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the help guys. I took the dogs out friday night and had a great night. Got to love a snap of a cold streak. We treed 5, I only shot two out tho. You fellas get any work in this weekend with the hounds?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right out of finleyville, anytime you want to go im down pm me

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Are you the guy who dates Mel Guskey's grand daughter ??? If so we met at the coonhunters club last year..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Ok, Gus forgot more about coonhuntin than most guys know.. He is one of the best coonhunters that ever lead a hound in W. Pa..

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
you answered you own question IMO....hes a bluetick! not all blueticks are cold nosed...but, as a "breed" they tend to be cold trailers...and as dogs mature and age, they change...

the wet weather also plays a role im sure...

i like a hotter nosed dog..not smokin hot..but i dont need to sit there and listen to a dog boo-hoo on an old cold feeder track for a half hour or hour...i wanna hear em burn it to the tree...thats just me...

i got my clock cleaned by a cold nosed bluetick one nite...bad nite..most all the competition casts are walkers here..especially nite champion casts..well i ended up with a 3 dog cast..2 walkers and a bluetick..i knew if the bluetick was a goodun, he'd shine on a bad nite...and he did...me and the female walker i hunt made about double the trees..but he'd strike in first on an old cold track and boo-hoo on it while mine had to hunt a warmer track..or would run his track but wouldnt open till she was ON the coon..

i can see how some guys enjoy a cold nosed dog...truly is awesome to listen to them work a old cold tough track and put a coon at the end of it..

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Blutik87, when most guys are staying home in January and February cause they don't have a dog with the nose to get it done, or they find them 3 miles away because they had to go that far to find a warm one, and yours treed 6 behind them you will thank God for that nose.. Mine moves a bad track faster than most can, but he still makes mistakes in the bad months, all do.. It is a fact. Generally at this time of year the snow and severe temps. seem to shut us down. This year has been mild. Coon are getting more pressure from hunters and trappers, only the smarter coon are still alive.. They will naturally be harder to tree or go in dens or holes in the ground. January and February have a way of separating the exceptioal ones from the average ones in the COONDOG department..

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear ya, I love the way my dog hunts. We trained each other more or less. I love to walk the woods and thats how I hunt (im not a pull up and dump 'em guy and then get in the truck to go find where they treed) and I dont have a tracking collar, so he is a relatively close hunter. I walk slowly and he will do a circle around me and stop to check in on me fairly frequently. This is also helpful because there isnt huge patches of land around me. Everywhere I hunt provides a possibility of danger from a road. I keep him away from the bad ones but there is no way to help it around finleyville. He has never trashed. He likes a good fight. If all the other ones out of hammer are like him ill never own another kind of dog. It always used to be just me and him going all night so this year he is making the adjustment to hunt with other dogs and he is doing a good job. I know by night champion standards he wouldnt make it but ole mr. gusky taught me that if I want to keep him good id be best to stay away from other fellas "good" dogs anyhow. He told me some pretty good huntin stories about you and him too.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Gus is Top Notch, treasure his knowledge, at 95 years old how long will he be around to give his wisdom ??? Yeah, him and I have treed a few together. Your dog is trained to hunt the same way mine is.. Have to be around here or they die on the road as you said. I have a camp also not far from Wharton, it is north of Keating Summit about 2 miles and south of Port Allegany about 7 miles back in a hollow. Beautiful country !! We need to hook up and hunt sometime soon...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
id highly recommend picking up a tracking system...can pick up the radio telemetry systems used fairly cheap as guys are changing to GPS systems...

will save your dog sooner or later...or save you a lot of time hunting for him...

i dont care how close my dog hunts or how well he listens or how he will never burn a deer or a yote..my dog dont leave the farm without a tracking collar on...

cant count how many times the tracker saved the life of the dog i was hunting..once we found one in a drain pipe to a school..couldnt hear him...but we found him..he was STUCK..but we got him out..another same story only a BIG brush pile..he got stuck and hung up on his collar..he couldnt go anywhere...we couldnt hear him..the pile was massive and he was deep inside it..took us a while but we got him out...

GPS is nice too...you can see when they are coming close to a road or what side of the creek they are on etc...

dont remember the last time i actually used the tracking system..been a while..but, its nice to know i got it when i need it..too much time and money wrapped up in a dog to loose it...

funny how different guys enjoy different styles of huntin dogs...im in the process of starting a pup now and he wont range too far yet unless he gets on a track...i gotta walk him around a fair bit..and i cant stand it! i enjoy it in a way..but, im used to cutting a dog loose and sitting on the tailgate till they get treed or are getting close to loosing hearing on them and walking or driving around to gather them up...

i do competition hunt and right now i do enjoy it..and a dog that needs walked around wont fair well at all in the hunts..

thats right...a dog can learn lots of bad things from other guys "good dogs" at the nite hunts...might not burn a deer on its own..but ive seen em pack up and burn one with another dog..

im convinced that chewing at the tree is a learned habit they pick up from seeing another dog do it..

i try not to take a dog to the hunts till its mature and straight and broke...ive seen young dogs ruined from trying to tree with a mean/rough dog that bit them or whatever..lots of bad can come from the hunts...especially the registered casts...i dont take a dog till i know it'll move right through the registered casts in a few hunts...most nite champion dogs are straight and broke and you dont got so many problems..usually pretty nice coon dogs for the most part...registered casts is another story...but the registered casts can be entertaining! lol...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
If all the other ones out of hammer are like him ill never own another kind of dog.
My dogs are Hammer bred on the top side, and that is about how they hunt..........the dam (Utchman Bred) that my dogs are out of is the coldest nosed old bluetick that I have ever seen, she will move an old bad track until it heats up, she is a long ranging dog.......The Sire is a good honest solid tree dog............he wont run anything but a coon, he doesn't even want to smell it......his pedigree is really heavy Hammer bred.......they a re good old fashioned style blueticks..........I have no use for a Walker dog that skips a lot of tracks until it finds a real hot one to run, but that is how they are bred now for the sole purpose of theses competition hunts....

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
On the UKC site part of my signature is Keepin score with the .22 not a scorecard.. I just prefer it that way.. I have been on some great competition hunts and MORE STINKO ones.. So I stay away.. Buckshot did you buy a female from a guy in WV about a month ago name May Bee ???? I met a guy from Clearfield Co. when he picked her up along I-79...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
ckshot did you buy a female from a guy in WV about a month ago name May Bee ???? I met a guy from Clearfield Co. when he picked her up along I-79...
No, I didnt but if it was a Blue Dog I probably have a pretty goo idea who did.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts