The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Coon puppies and the coon fight both work well. Just don't hold the caller, keep it out in front of you 15 or 20 feet. Some of them are very aggressive while they are coming to the call, I have had them almost crawl up my leg!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Im intrested in calling coons, iv seen guys call them out of the tree den in the middle of the day. They come charging out, I tried it several times with nothing. I dont like the coon fight call on my foxpro, it sounds like static on the radio. Im ordering a DJ perfect coon call, its a mouth call im sure it will work better. I got a duke dogproof trap though and im gonna catch a few and have them tanned.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Theres a video on youtube called Calling All Coons. Thats where I saw it. if i knew how to post pictures or links I would do it.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
calling coons is great,as night eyes said dont hold speaker,very aggressive and quick when they want to.
i like the coon puppies or distressed sound.
also love the griz n gray call produced by kcc and bought out by fox pro.
that call is killer on coon and gray fox.
it is hand operated,so be ready, but it kicks butt and won't freeze up on you.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Ive tried calling coons about 15 times and never got a response. How are you guys doing it? The only time I called in a coon was when I played a coyote locator call and had a coon come charging right in.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Iv had the same experience, iv deffinitly treid and nothing, do you call non stop or maby a decoy?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've called in coons on woodpecker sounds, coon sounds, baby porcupine and red fox pup for some reason. I even called one in during the day with red fox pup.

·
Registered
713 Posts
arc,
Most of my coon calling is in or near cut corn fields. I call for about 2 minutes or so then turn the call down or off. After about one minute I turn the call back on. I will repeat this several times. After I'm done calling whether I've called a coon in or not I'll howl a few times. Sometimes I'll do a coyote serenade. I then walk the edge of the field shining my scanning light into the trees. I do not hunt coon a lot but the best night I had was 7 coon in one field all were up in the trees after I howled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts