The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a xtra large coon that had mange tail looked like a possum tail and its back had huge patched of fur missing , glad i got him out of the population ..

Its a shame though that a big coon like that is completely worthless !!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't think coons get mange. Sometimes they are rubbed raw. But it's not mange.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the patch on his back was probably from rubbing but i cant explain his tail and i'm pretty sure also coons dont get mange but theres always a first for everything

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I caught a coon in a cage trap once that had rubbed on the cage so bad he had no hair on his tail and most of his rump.

All the hair was laying in the cage. This was in late winter maybe feb.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
I shot one 2 nites ago that i thought was just rubbed bad...but had scabs...i went to brush it out and hair was coming off in big clumps..even the tail....not sure what it was...waste of a good coon..he was 3-4xl...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Coons can get mange. I've taken two down this year. Both in Pa. And also be carefule with them and any other critters out there. They can cary some nasty stuff. Invested in a catch pole this year for releasing fox and coons that I don't want. I promise you the $75 catch pole is worth a ton less than the Rabbies Vac that I'm paying for now.
M

1 - 8 of 8 Posts