The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a depressed Raccoon market this upcoming season, what are we going to do?

Me?
Am trapping other critters this season. I'll put up non-target Coon and hope for the best.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Fox and Yotes only. (as usual)

Non target coons...dumpster unless their big with nice color and then they tanned and used for personal projects.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just started trapping last year. This will be the first I'm putting up fur, so this will be a learning year for me. With such depressed prices, if I screw up I'm not out much but time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gonna trap; mink, rats, fox....unless farmer has a coon problem and then I'll do what I hafta do to keep the territory mine...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Gonna do what I do Hern, catch 'em and look for something good to happen. If I have to hold them over, that's what I'll do.

Unfortunately, I like catching coons, even like putting them up, so it's what I do to keep from going stir crazy.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I trap! gotta keep my farmers happy! not starting till rats come in, any coon will probable be tanned.gonna play with the k-9's more, and mink!

·
Registered
177 Posts
scottm2012 said:
Just started trapping last year. This will be the first I'm putting up fur, so this will be a learning year for me. With such depressed prices, if I screw up I'm not out much but time.
I'm with Scott, I never put up my own critters, this year with the low prices I think it's a good time to learn.

I also am going to buy a catch pole to release small coon; only plan on putting up fur that's worth tanning or that I know I can at least get a buck for...if i'm lucky.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Speaking of catchpole, a veteran trapper at my church suggested using a small sheet (waist high by 2.5 - 3 ft across) of 3/8" plywood with a handle on one side and a notch cut in the bottom big enough for a bobcat paw. He uses the board to push the animal to the end of the chain and places the paw with trap in the notch. Using his feet, steps on the levers and releases the critter. Says it's less stressful for the critter and the trapper. Makes sense to me and is a lot cheaper. Might be bulkier but when you're trapping out of a vehicle, it might come in handy.

·
Registered
991 Posts
If you're going to do very much trapping, I'd use a poll. I trap off an ATV sometimes so the plywood approach wouldn't be very practical. Nothing wrong with it though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I use a milk crate with a piece of the handle cut out, put it over the critter, take trap off n stand back, flip crate off. Released fishers using this method, works well.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I used the notched plywood early on and really it is very inefficient. Nothing gained over just using a big Tupperware type container to put over the animal. Used the plywood here.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tundragriz/media/videos/pabobcat-1a.mp4.html?sort=6&o=8

Now use a snare pole almost all the time and they work good for cats and canines but a coon especially a big heavy one has a neck about as thick as the head. If alone you better make sure it is firmly attached when he starts twisting and rolling. The Tupperware is a safer choice, I've thrown my jacket over small coon when I had nothing else and it worked perfectly.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tundragriz/media/videos/bobcatrelease.mp4.html?sort=6&o=15

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
tried a coat over a bobcat once, never got to wear that coat again!!

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It should be LAW...if you trap, you must have a catch/release pole in your possession.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thanks, but we don't need the government sticking their noses in our way of life anymore than they already do. To each his own and everyone has a method they like better.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've used a tub, wash basket, rope, Y-stick, plywood, coat, flannel shirt, vest, limb, broom handle and milk create but none of these were easier to use or faster than a release pole.
I find a release pole the best tool, the proper tool to quickly release an animal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Got to agree with Hern on this one with one exception...they don't make a catch/release pole long enough for skunks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts