The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good bait for those DP?s I was using tuna and a coon (saw the tracks, wasn't no mice) cleaned the whole trap clean never caught him. The style of DP's in using are just the pull up trigger not a push/pull. Looking for a bait so it don't happen again, some are saying marshmallows. I don't have any fish oil. Thanks all!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
archeryman32 said:
Dip a marshmellow in peanut butter and slide it over the trigger. Works extremely well.
You mean stick the trigger through the marshmallow? I thought about that but I thought they would tear it off the trigger

Thank you !

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
How's about a marshmellow wedged under the trigger ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use dry cat food filled just below the trigger. I think I may had one clean out but I always set more than one dp at a location.

·
Registered
423 Posts
if you fish for bass, take an old tube jig and cut the rubber legs off of it and slide the tube over the trigger, they really like that soft feel.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I get cinnimon tast crunch and smash it up into little peices/ powder, pour that into the trap. They cann not resist the taste and smell, and the powder small bits really make em work to get it out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I tried the marshmellow under the trigger... He took it !! Couldn't believe it. This time I put the trigger through the marshmellow this time, if that don't work, I have 5 DP coon cuffs for sale, a week old and has never seen a coon.

·
Registered
323 Posts
let the marshmallows get a little stale, makes them stiffer less likely to pull off. Poke the trigger into the marshmallow. marshmallows are all I use in DP's with good success.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dry cat food or dog food filled right below trigger. Set to a hair trigger. Make sure it is solid in the ground so they cannot pull out to empty out. Also after you bait to help against mice stealing bait put a white golf ball on top of the trap of even a Styrofoam cup... actually help catch the coons attention too.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
I used golf balls but some places the Fox or Coyote take the golf ball to parts unknown, never to be found.

I like a clear plastic cup to keep the rain off...

A plastic cup (covering a DP) in a road ditch or drain tile looks natural and blends with all the road trash.
A golf ball stands out to a jogger along a road. He needs more practice balls, comes down the bank and may take your cover and get his finger pinched. Dang joggers.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
cover them with paper cups that are biodegradable. hate to add Styrofoam bits to all the rest of the trash.

Take my word for it cups do not stop mice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts