The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of set should i be using in the creeks and streams now that the weather and water is much colder, still pocket sets? ive had good luck with them before but since its gotten cold ive seen less fresh tracks and no coons in those traps by the stream

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
PVC sets are always HOTT !! and of course any set with a Coni.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If you move to the top of the bank put another trap on hte "back side" of your set. The catch canines coing into the set........kill two birds with one stone

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Just use the spring hole set with the trap's pan tension lightened.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
cold water isn't going ot keep coon away from the water- I trap coon all of dec, jan into feb using nothing but water sets- either pockets or pipes.

they will limit movement in that first cold snap or two, but after thatr, in "warmups' they will move and work the water

the biggest change I make for cold weather, is to really pour on the lure, and forget about the baits/food lures instead going with curiosity type lures such as gland lures, coon call lures and very skunky lures.

but don't expect results like warmer weather- #1- you have a lot of coon gone by then from other trappers, hunters and #2- they semi hibernate and don't move consistently.

so set up your areas, and be patiant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts