The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever made jerkey out of a raccoon.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Possum? Mmmmmmm. Crow?....well...only if you do it medium-rare! Rat?....tell 'em it's mink!

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
They say 'coon can be good. Never had it but I'd try it.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Never had jerky but when I used to coon hunt years ago the man that used to hunt with me done a small one with shake and bake. It tasted real good and the landowner asked us to bring him a young coon. They baked it and it tasted like roast pork. They are a very clean animal.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I watch all those bizarre foods shows and alot of things you might think are gross is actually very good. I remember on a show in Appalachia Andrew Zimmern loved racoon.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Farmer buddy that butchers my deer tried to give me two of them a few weeks back. I thanked him but did not take them. He swears they are good eating. I just took his word for it. Maybe next season I will try one. Guess that it could not hurt.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
My grandad grew up during the tail end of the depression and times were rough around here for a while after that, he says that his aunt used to cook coons whole in the oven.......in a roaster pan with veggies and what not I guess

He said it had to be just the right size or she wouldnt cook it not too young, not too old......but he says it was some fine eatin

I have been after the old lady, and my mother trying to get them to cook one, I would like to try it at least once.......

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
My Dad went thru the Depression and my Mom went thru the tail end of it...

When I started trapping, my Mom used to make me Keep every coon, I had to clean it up (Gut it and remove all the fat I could get off it) and she would roast it...

I remember eating it many times... it tasted good!

Dad used to tell me about eating "Marsh Rabbits" and then told me what they were....He always said that if I caught 1 alive in a trap while trapping muskrats, we would eat it... I Never got the chance...they always drownd or they got caught in a 110...he refused to eat any that drownd and also refused to eat any that got caught in a 110!

He and his brothers used to set high bank sets with crab apples for muskrats and then when they caught them, they would kill them and skin them right away along the river, so that they could bleed them out...He always said you could not bleed them out if they were drownd or caught in a 110 and he refused to even try them...

I'm still waiting to catch a rat alive so I can try "Marsh Rabbit" out!

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I have an old PGC Cook Book and in it there is a Recipe for Raccoon Sausage...

grind deboned raccoon meat, for every 4 cups of ground raccoon meat add 1 cup bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 teaspoon ground sage, 1 beaten egg and 1 small chopped onion...

Mix all together and form into patties and fry!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts