The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has prob been covered before but what are some options for killing a coon in a box trap. Where I am seting there are no water bodies deep enough to give them a dip. I would like to sell my catch for the fur market. If you don;t want to post it online just pm me. Thanks

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
That's a good question and Doe deserves an answer. Personally I would shoot it with a .22.

Please confine other methods to PM. Thank you.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I shot a coon in the lungs with a 22 short the other day behind my house and I live in a development It's no louder that a BB gun [censored] it didn't even go all the way through the coon.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Doe's living in Bucks doesn't automatically mean "densly populated", any more than Baltimore county means same. But the safety rule applies- 150 yds from occupied structure unless given permission by the owner of that structure. Or unless it is within a bourough/township with specific firearm discharge ordinances. In Balto county it is ok to target shoot or use a firearm for hunting/trapping so long as the location is NOT in the "metropolitan area", and there is a map the county PD can give you to show you where that is. Otherwise we have the 150yd rule. I do know someone who lives within the newer metropolitan area, but is somehow grandfathered in. He and his family hunt deer, squirrels, raccoons, and foxes on the large property ( 20 acres) with firearms, but they don't target shoot there anymore. People still call the cops on them when hunting, so they try to keep the shooting to a minumum.

Ok enough of that. If firearms use is allowed in the trapping location, a .22 in the head suffices. Look at the raccoon's face and draw an X from each ear to the opposite eye. The middle of the X is where to aim. Usual gun safety applies of course. The raccoon will have reflexive death throws- don't worry about it, it isn't feeling anything. If you want to save the skull, then the double lung shot allows for that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm far from an anti. Check my past posts. just looking for ways to dispatch. I can use a .22 in some areas but other areas are very built up. Just looking for ideas so i dont have to take traps out with each catch.

·
Registered
5,364 Posts
i bet a skunk pole should work just as well on coon in a box trap. maybe coming down from the top.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Has anyone had any problems with getting blood around your DPs after disbatching coon and not getting any action after? I haven't caught more than one coon per set this year yet and am curious if they may smell the blood and avoid the set. I caught on in a set that was only 10 feet from another set where I caught another one 4 days before.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have caught as many as 12 coons from the same d/p never worry about the blood.

bobcat I dont think a coon would be still enough for that.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Doe said:
I'm far from an anti. Check my past posts. just looking for ways to dispatch. I can use a .22 in some areas but other areas are very built up. Just looking for ideas so i dont have to take traps out with each catch.
My comment wasn't directed at you. It was to an ugly dispatch method.... foxtrapperwoman deleted it

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
dont know why i was compared to tom and jerry, but i gave him an answer to his question. thats no different than a .22 to in the chest. has nothing to do with him being in a safety zone.

i live and trap in bucks county and have plenty of places i dont want to use a gun due to police calls or people finding out where im trapping.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Steel Forester said:
Has anyone had any problems with getting blood around your DPs after disbatching coon and not getting any action after? I haven't caught more than one coon per set this year yet and am curious if they may smell the blood and avoid the set. I caught on in a set that was only 10 feet from another set where I caught another one 4 days before.
You won't have any problems; I caught and dispatched three coons off of the same DP same exact location.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I have used the same method for coon, possum and canines for 35 years or so and it seems to work the best for me on all of them.

A .22 short HP in one ear on a line to come out the other ear. Doesn't exit and no hole in the pelt anywhere. It is instantaneous. Even on possums.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks. This is my first year using the DPs and I wasn't sure. Always have had bedded, scent free traps before. I'm loving these things by the way...they're easy and effective. Going to buy a lot more next year.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use a .25cal pellet gun. 1 to the back of the head and its a done deal. Immediatly after the shot I try and steady the animal to limit them from rolling in blood.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Berky said:
I use a .25cal pellet gun. 1 to the back of the head and its a done deal. Immediatly after the shot I try and steady the animal to limit them from rolling in blood.
Watch who you tell that to.

Not legal in PA.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Yeah, I know. Pa makes no sense. <span style="font-weight: bold">Edited out by OldMink]</span> Fiqure that one out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts