The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys mess with coon boxes with 160s? I was thinking about using some where I can not use a 22 to dispatch. What do you make them out of? I k ow that the opening can not exceed 49sq", but how long do you make them? Thanks.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not for the sake of safety but being quite. I check my traps before work in the mornings (usually between 4-5 am). Its so I do not wake people up. I have some places next to houses out in the country (with permission).

·
Registered
999 Posts
I would be more concerned with the possibility of catching someones pet cat in a 160 near the houses as opposed to the noise . I would go with a dog prof trap myself.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
A 22 short will work...just make sure they are dead not knocked out...should be fine out of a rifle at dispatch ranges...i use them to knock em outta trees once in a while...

No experience with boxes..not a coon trapper

·
Registered
189 Posts
if you dont want to wake people up why not take a baseball bat? there's nothing inhumane about it and its just as quick. I'd do that before using a 160 near a house.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Before they changed the law with the 160's and buckets, I would catch a good many that way. Not setting them haphazardly either. Have not messed with the new construction of the set though.

Tap and collapse...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
remington cee bee .22. very low noise,out of my 5 1/2 inch barrel you can hardly hear it.out of a rifle its like a air rifle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts