The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do most guys use for coon stretchers? Wood or wire. Also if using wire stretchers. What size wire stretchers do you guys use.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
wooden boards come in 4 sizes for coon small, med, large and xxl. using the proper board and lent and shape will get the best result on your coon.
wire use a # 4 or #5 watching the with that you stretch to.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I guess my next question is are there any local and when I say local I mean relatively close to SE PA that sell good quality wood stretchers?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Edwin hawbaker gave me a couple of muskrat boards that his father made. Nothing fancy, looked like he simply sat down and widdled them out. I've got a lot of respect for that kind of stuff where someone makes due with what they have to work with.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Hale87 said:
Edwin hawbaker gave me a couple of muskrat boards that his father made. Nothing fancy, looked like he simply sat down and widdled them out. I've got a lot of respect for that kind of stuff where someone makes due with what they have to work with.

And with that said, don't be afraid to use wire if that is more available to you.

Know were you are going to sell first, then find out what that buyer prefers.

With this depressed market only trap better coon. Don't trap early fur. No matter how well you put up a blue or slated coon on wood, it is still going to be just that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts