The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I fished Saturday morning....fished stretches of 2 different streams..once again I caught wild species of rainbow, brown and Brook Trout from both streams..

I ended the day with 60-70 fish.. actually a pretty even split between the species which was pretty cool...

Logged somewhere around 13 miles on the GPS and fished for 7.5hrs.

Won't lie..i was running on a few hours sleep because I was up late watching storms, watching stream flows, debating if or where to fish...slept in till 630 and started the drive to the water...

So being pretty tired...hungry, thirsty etc...i lost focus a few times and it cost me a lot of fish...

One down pour lasted a half hour or so and cost me some fish..i pressed on through it but couldn't read the water and walked through water I should have fished..

Anyways...a few pics of the beautiful fish...i didnt take many pics at all...for a while I as intently focused on fishing...then zoned out and found myself not focused at all lol....

(One of the biggest, if not the biggest wild rainbows I've caught...)

Maybe it's just me but seemed like the brookies are getting more colorful than the last time I was there in April...

That brown was the big fish for the trip...it wasn't super long bit the girth on him was impressive...I'm sure some will think I am full of it but there is a giant "bottomless" hole...i threw in a lure and I couldn't count the number of trout that came slashing at it...it looked like a shark tank...i would say atleast 6+ bigger than that one..i saw a couple that seriously dwarfed the one I caught...i almost didn't catch any of them because I was literally in shock..I've never in my life seen anything like it...or so many big wild trout...it was incredible..plus countless 12" and smaller fish...

So....for the cool find...i always look around...I've found old traps..lures and fishing tackle, knives, lots of old "junk" etc...

I saw 2 white points sticking out of the gravel... reached down and pulled out this old shed...

No telling how old or how long it's been in the creek...the base was worn round and almost polished smooth from the creek... was chewed on by critters too so it wasn't dropped directly into the creek...i thought it was pretty cool...

Now for the alarming....

I caught that brookie and noticed right away it didn't fight at ALL...I've caught plenty of brookies that size and know they usually put up a good little fight....i looked and it was properly hooked...stream was flowing 62 degrees...

I inspected it closer and was shocked...if you look at the tip of the Hemlock needle you can see it's Gill doesn't look right...i lifted the Gill plate and about threw up...Gill lice!!!!

I had no idea it exsisted in PA... someone here from Wisconsin just posted a month or 2 ago about it...trout2003 said he never seen it...he catches more trout a day than I do a year so figured we simply don't have it here...so I was shocked...and disgusted..if you've seen pics of bad cases of it..that's hat that fish looked like..i was focusing the camera for the picture and something large stomped and took off on the bank.. being alone literally miles from the nearest camp or house and in bear country... I'm always jumpy...i jumped and lost the fish...and almost my phone..

I caught 8 brookies and 3 out of the 8 had it..i would have to look but I caught I think around 30 rainbows...1 or 2 browns..last time I fished it in April I caught like 20 brookies, 20 rainbows and 1 brown... coincidence my catch rate of brookies was down??? I don't know...i only found Gill lice in brookies...and not in the bigger and warmer creek...some say it's a warm water issue...

Hers pics of the other 2...not nearly as bad but still present...and the same thing..i noticed right away they didn't fight at all....they swam off seemingly fine...

That one had it as you can see but more toward the fin...

It's absolutely nasty...

I'm still trying to educate myself on it...i wanna know more..

I can't find anything on it in PA...

I have an email out to the PFBC...if theu don't respond in a day or 2 I will call...

The wild trout in PA face enough struggles...

I will let y'all know what the PFBC says....

Has anyone else documented it in PA??? I know atleast a few of you guys fish all over the state and catch thousands of fish a year....

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Good outing. How big was the biggest brown you caught? I'm familiar with that big pool but haven't caught a lot of fish there. It gets fished pretty hard early in the year and unfortunately I have run into anglers who had 20" browns in their possession that were caught in that pool. As the rope swing suggests, it is also used for swimming by the local folks.

I haven't seen gill lice on that creek so notifying the PAF&BC is the right move.

You did a lot of walking which is to be expected on those streams because of how remote they are.

Did you see any deer? I almost always see at least a few there. There are a fair number of bears there and lots of porcupines.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Have not seen gill lice in Pa fish -- yet..

There was a problem 200 miles to the north - Steelhead in the Salmon River& other area tribs were affected by gill lice just last year. Not sure what the root cause is...

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't see any wildlife...guessing what scared me was a deer...i spend nearly all of my time IN the creek and focus pretty intently on fishing lol...i take in the scenery and such....but I rarely see wildlife...

Did see a big snake of some sort at that big hole as well...2 footer...he didn't want no parts of me...guess I a water snake as it swam into the big hole..but couldn't see its colors or anything...

The brown was only 14"...it was hefty and thick though..I'd say thicker than the 19-20"er I caught a while back...

Anyone notice the deeply forked tail on that brown??? I did right away...i went back through all my brown pics and none have that deeply forked tail....thought that was interesting...as is the coloration...all the wild browns I catch are the bright yellow color...

·
Super Moderator
12,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No response via the online form so I called the LE line... figured they would atleast direct my call appropriately...they had me call the hatchery...the hatchery gave me the # to the biologist...i left him a message..

The LE line sounded fairly "excited" when I said Gill lice in wild trout...

The wild trout in PA have enough battles..and more to come if we continue to loose Hemlock trees...not to mention all the other tree's dying as well...on top of logging and gas and oil drilling etc..i know things are better and more environmental protection in place..but those fish are here after years of not so environmentally friendly practices as well... hopefully we can continue to protect and better our wild trout fisheries...

I know most all of you fellow wild trout nuts take stuff like this seriously...and that's great... without reporting such findings the fish commission may not find it till it's far too late...they can't monitor everything everywhere...we have to be the eyes for them while we are out there..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts