The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When benchrest shooting in normal summer weather (say 75ish degrees) what is an adequate pause between shots to keep the barrel cool?

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Wow, this has so many variables, all of which should be cataloged and tracked by the individula shooter and plotted on a graph, so that the optimal conditions can be arrived at. Temperature, humidity yads yada yada. Fascinating hobby!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I always feel my barrel and stop before they get warm to the touch- normally three shots groups and wait.....days like today I may go 15 plus mins between groups. like jimsdad said many variables.

·
Registered
398 Posts
3 shots ... Grasp the barrel. Uncomfortably hot? Wait until it's mildly warm, 5 to 10 minutes. Shoot 3 more. Shots seem to "start to walk" after 5 shots. Don't forget to re-oil the barrel after your done shootin'.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i was just was out load testing my .257 wby mag the last couple of days and wow. 2 consecutive shots every ten minutes was all i could pull off. 3 shots it was extremely hot and 4 it would scorch your hand. after 2 shots, the bullets started walking all over the paper anyways. ended up shooting a few 1/2" 3 shot groups, each over the course of about 10 minutes. Needless to say, i spent a long while at the range.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
Another concept is to stand the rifle muzzle up while letting it cool. This allows the heat to "smokestack" out the muzzle and it will cool faster. I've tried the trick of bringing rubbing alcohol to swab the outside of the barrel...evaporating alcohol has a cooling affect. Didn't do as much as I'd hoped, but standing the rifle muzzle-up really does help.

·
Registered
398 Posts
anytimearcher said:
i was just was out load testing my .257 wby mag the last couple of days and wow. 2 consecutive shots every ten minutes was all i could pull off. 3 shots it was extremely hot and 4 it would scorch your hand. after 2 shots, the bullets started walking all over the paper anyways. ended up shooting a few 1/2" 3 shot groups, each over the course of about 10 minutes. Needless to say, I spent a long while at the range.
Maybe the mag throws more heat than my .270 or .308? Might consider cool down between each shot with the bolt open when the air temp is hot. tdd's smokestack idea sounds like a winner too. I never was a big fan of summer shooting unless there is a slight breeze. Come to think of it, my 3 shot rule came about after cool weather shooting. Too many bugs, sweat in summer. I find it easier to concentrate in cooler weather.

·
Super Moderator
7,822 Posts
I can't claim credit for it. I saw David Petzal suggest that on an episode of "Gun Nuts" and thought "that's something I should have thought of!"

Since then I use it and it works to help cool things quicker. In the summer, though, especially with my 300WSM, it will still take a while to dissipate heat.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Barrel thickness alone is a huge factor...

Also gotta realize if its warm or hot to touch on the outside, the bore is much hotter..

Even in the dead of winter i dont shoot more than 1 round at a time when testing loads..

Takes less time to cool back down from what ive found..might get 2-3 to shoot well...but then you got a longer cool down...in the end i reckon its the same..i like to take the time to focus and concentrate and get comfortable etc...by the time i am ready to send the next round, my bore is cooled....im slow when it comes to shooting groups

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I shoot rifles often that have pencil barrels. Therefore on summer days it takes me twenty minutes to fire a three shot group. I usually fire a five shot group in the same amount of time in winter but in summer I stop at three.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I like to wait 2-3 minutes between shots, and that seems like I get better consistancy while load testing. It takes awhile, but results have been very good. But that is also in 60-70 degrees with a heavy fluted barrel.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
matt75bronco said:
I like to wait 2-3 minutes between shots, and that seems like I get better consistancy while load testing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts