The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I'm kind of a beer nerd and I was wondering if anyone has any good beer/game recipes or a favorite pairing of the both. Some people pair wine and food together, I like to pair beer and food together. Now I'm not a big fan of beers like Bud, but if that's what you like that's great. I would have to say my favorite pairing to date has been a Belgian Triple with Wild Turkey. It was amazing and I hope to have it again soon.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
hmm belgians are something of a acquired taste. ya either like em or hate em deal. with me I stick the heavier beers to a heavier meal. a barley wine or scottish wee heavy goes great with roast and potatoes or a nice steak and baked tater. I stick a hefe or a good belgian white ale not blue moon maybe shock top with a salad or chicken in the summer time. it seems like the beer choice goes with the season. but the rule of thumb is normally what I do is beef I stick with a good malty flavorful beer. a porter stout sam adams winter lager which isn't really a lager but a wiezenbock. stuff like that. chicken fish salads anything ligher tasting deserves a lighter tasting beer weizens pilsner irish red a lightly hopped pale ale. I think you can get the idea.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I do a lot of cooking with beer /venison. Quick one for deer steak. Remove the fat feom around the edges of the steak, I also remove the bone and cut the steak in half. I have my steaks cut an inch thick so this is enough foe two. Salt and pepper the steak on both sides and dredge it in flour, shake off excess. In a skillet pour some olive oil, 3 to 4 tbls. Brown the steak on both sides and remove the steak from the skillet ans set aside. In the skillet add hald a medium onion diced and two cloves of garlic chopped fine and the leaves from 4 or 5 stems of fresh tyme, you can substitute 1/4 tsp of dried. Saute till onions are clear, make sure you don't burn the garlic. Now add a heaping tbls of tomato paste and stir around for about a minute. Add almost one bottle or can of Guiness stout and bring to simmer and put steak back in pan, if you want, crumble one OXO cube in the liquid, do not use a bullion cube, too salty. Bring back to low simmer and put lid on skillet. While it is simmering slice up half a container of fresh mushrooms, or use wild if you have them. Also put about a teaspoon of dried porchini mushrooms in a small dish and add the rest of the Guiness and let soak for 1/2 hour. When meat has simmered for 1/2 hour put in the dries porchinis and the soaking liquid and the fresh mushrooms and but the lid back on and simmer for another half hour or until meat is tender. When done, take about 1 half heaping teaspoon of cornstartch in a small bowl and add woater or beer to make a slurry and add to liquid in skillet and when thickened it will be ready to serve. I serve the broth ovewr rice or noodles and over the steak. If you don't like Guiness, I can hardley imagine that but you can use a good ale as a substitute or a goos beer. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Nice Recipe John!!

I'd agree with a scotish style ale and a roast. I use Erie Brewing's Railbender, or Applacian's Jolly Scot to marinate a roast in, then cook it like you normally would.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I take the bone out of a hind quarter, then put some chopped garlic and a stick of butter in the place the bone used to be and tie some string around the roast to pull it together. Put the roast in a roasting pan with several quartered onions and whole carrots around it and salt and pepper heavy and dump a bottle of Guiness in the pan. Put the roast in the oven at 275 to 300 degrees depending on the size and roast for a long time, basting occasionally with the guiness and juice. When the roast is done, I like it a little pink in the center, I remove the roast to rest and cover it with foil, put the pan on a burner and bring the juice to a boil and pour in some flour disolved in water and stir rapidly untill thickened, then salt and pepper to taste and you have gravy for mashed potatos. You have the carrots and onions for vegies.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
I like a marinade I saw on Sam the Cooking Guy not long ago

1 bottle of honey brown
1/2 cup soy sauce
2-3 tbls chopped ginger (about 1.5 inches)
1/2 cup brown sugar.

marinade your meat at least 4 hours. grill. DAAAAAAAMn. enjoy!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
You guys are killng me. This is alcohol abuse! It pains me to waste a half a beer on a drunk chicken. Darn bird could have bought his own.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
You guys are killng me. This is alcohol abuse! It pains me to waste a half a beer on a drunk chicken. Darn bird could have bought his own.
Only beer I'll use to cook with is the 12 dollar 30 pack stuff... it taste good but If I'm going to cook with it, you better believe I'm not using something that is expensive or 1 of the beers I've made....And really the only thing that I HAVE to have cooked in beer or it does not taste right is SHRIMP, now those, you can not get away without cooking in beer and old bay! BUT again, I'm not going to use an expensive beer or 1 of my homemade to cook shrimp in!

YEP, Alcohol Abuse!

The only way to cook with beer, really, is to take a beer, open it, proceed to drink while you prepare the meal!
if you finish that beer before the meal is ready, crack open another 1 and start drinking it.....don't waste a good drink on a chicken or anyother meat!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
like wine...the only beer i'll cook with is one that i am willing to drink too. cooking in pee water is cooking in pee water. I cook in good dark beers. Troeggs Rugged Ale is a fantastic cooking beer...and a fine drinking beer too that goes well with anything from fried fish to a good venison roast.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Absolutly, no sense cooking with Bud or Coors or some other tastless liquid. Use a good strong brew. You are looking for taste in your food, water has no taste.

·
Registered
718 Posts
What could go better with beer chili and beer than BEER BREAD! Ok, I have never tried it but my manager likes it.

Ingredients
3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1/4 cup sugar

1 (12 ounce) can beer
1/2 cup melted butter (1/4 cup will do just fine)

Directions
1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2Mix dry ingredients and beer.
3Pour into a greased loaf pan.
4Pour melted butter over mixture.
5Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.
6UPDATED NOTES: Sifting flour for bread recipes is a must-do. Most people just scoop the 1 cup measure in the flour canister and level it off. That compacts the flour and will turn your bread into a "hard biscuit" as some have described. That's because they aren't sifting their flour! If you do not have a sifter, use a spoon to spoon the flour into the 1 cup measure. Try it once the "correct" way and you will see an amazing difference in the end product.
7I have had many email from you kind folks about using non-alcoholic beverages instead of beer. That is fine to do but I highly recommend adding a packet of Dry Active Yeast or 2 teaspoons of Bread (Machine) Yeast so that you get a proper rise.
8The final result should be a thick, hearty and very tasteful bread, NOT A BRICK! ;).

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have to agree, I tend to cook with the good stuff. Why would I want to eat something cooked in swill? Guiness is a one of my favorites to cook with for everything from roast to breads.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've cooked beer bread before, and it turned out really good. I mean it was a prepackaged deal, and you just added the brown ale. I made it with a Brooklyn Brewery Brown Ale and it turned out really good. I'm going to give this bread recipe a try this weekend. I'm on a baking kick right now, I back 8 loaves of zucchini bread last Sunday. Someone was telling me that when baking and using beer, you should let the beer go flat first, has anyone heard this before? He said that the carbonation of the beer had something to do with it. I didn't do that with my bread and it turned out great.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
The only way to cook with beer, really, is to take a beer, open it, proceed to drink while you prepare the meal!
if you finish that beer before the meal is ready, crack open another 1 and start drinking it.....don't waste a good drink on a chicken or anyother meat!
Took the words out of my mouth.

In all honesty, about the only thing that I've had that was cooked in beer that I thought made a difference was brats. But, I'd be willing to come taste test a few of the previously listed dishes.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I marinated a roast the past couple days in some Straubs special dark. My wife hats beer and I did not tell her it was in there. It would have been great if the cook would not have over cooked it. Very flavorful, my wife even noticed it. She said I know its beer but it tastes good.

If your going to cook with beer make it a good beer. I like to use something heavy that is full of flavor.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
When steaming shrimp i use beer vs water. sill add equal part vinegar though along with spices.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I make my fried squirrel with a half cup of Dogfish Head Ale mixed with Pillsbury pancake mix. Coat the squirrel pieces & fry in sunflower oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts