The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the method, the mental pressure.

Like most of us that prepare our own game, I like to share what I make with others. And I think we all like to get approval of our wares from those that we share them with. This past Saturday was one of those times. It was my mother in law's birthday, so we had some of my wife's family over for a cookout. For those that don't know, we are in Germany, and my wife and her family are all Germans. So when I was serving grilled venison bratwurst, that I had made, the pressure was on to see their approval! Which I'm happy to report that they all gave my brats high praise! Not bad for a Yank

Of all the game meat I've shared with others, this was by far the most I wanted them to say " Hey, that's pretty good".

What about you, what was your pressure moment while serving what you made?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The first time I experiment with any new recipe, there's a moment of hesitation before I give it to someone else to try. Year's ago when I was experimenting with my bologna recipe, I took a batch to Christmas dinner. I cubed it up and put toothpicks in it, and it disappeared faster than anything else on the table. Just this past Sat I made ground venison jerky for the first time. I've made the sliced a couple times, but never been happy with the results. Well I spent 5 hours on it Sat, gave a couple pieces to my Mom and Dad and they loved it. So I got another winner for the cookbook.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
the first time I cooked a large beef roast was my most nervous time at the stove. Dunno...something about the possibility fo screwing up a $120 chunk of cow maybe.

nervousness when serving game is non existent. my patrons are more nervous than I because most have never had game when they get it from me. I stick to tried and true recipes and kick back to hear the "ooh, this is GOOD"s coming from everyone.

Good job on keeping the krauts happy Bcoz...i'd love to head back over there some time for some real pom fritz mit mayonase and saurbraten is one of my fav's too...i'm so glad we have a good German restaurant here in the Burgh

·
Registered
504 Posts
jayd4wg!! Would you be so kind as to share the name of the German restaurant in the Burgh. I am 55 miles south of the city,spend 7 years in Germany with the Military. I would enjoy some good German food. Thank's

Ron

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
We have a hoffbrauhaus now, and my fav is the Penn Brewery across 28 from the heinz plant. I've been told since this post that max's allegheny tavern is a good stop as well.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hoffbrauhaus Rocks!! My buddy lives in Pittsburgh and I've been down there twice since they opened. Once as a quick stop before the Penguins game 7, which we watched at a smaller bar. Then again saturday the 15th, and that Saturday night was out of control, but a blast none the less.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks!! I will be paying all of them a visit. I enjoyed my time in Bavaria,very good bier & food. Ocktober fest time is comming.

Ron

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
There is a German restaurant in Springdale, I think it is called Hoffstoff's. I have never been there, but maybe worth a try jayd4wg.

I think the most pressured cooking time is for a kid's first birthday party. You want everything to go great, but some family member gets in the way. The pressure comes in when you have to be nice and say, get out of the kitchen/ BBQ area. In past experience, asking them to get me 3 I repeat 3 beers tends to get the message across, and a nice buzz going.

·
Premium Member
24,025 Posts
If any pressure...i gladly turn the duties over to my Chef Daughter!!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Fly Guy said:
The pressure comes in when you have to be nice and say, get out of the kitchen/ BBQ area.
Not to hijack...but i MUST share this - pressure was when I got my first place (a trailer
) and it was *I* who decided I would cook everyone Thanksgiving dinner. of course we had a couple people offer to bring traditional things but the one that IRK'd me hardcore was when the MIL decided her homemade noodles and gravy needed more turkey juice than what I had going and without my knowledge poured about a gallon of cold tap water in my roasting pan. She could have just deglazed the roaster when I was done, ya know? I fed her raw turkey and told her when she's cooking, i'll stay out the kitchen...when *I'm* cooking everyone stay the (censored bleepety bleep) out of the (bleep)ing kitchen. ever since I threw a nutty, i have not had to have that conversation again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts