The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i slice my yelllow and green squash then dip them in egg then flour. the egg ends up dripping off into the flour and a mess what can i use instead of egg? or a few other ways to cook them

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
slice a little thicker and rub both sides with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and grill it up.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You should dip the slices in flour, then egg, then flour again. The first coat of flour helps the egg stick to the slices.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
John S said:
You should dip the slices in flour, then egg, then flour again. The first coat of flour helps the egg stick to the slices.

This is exactly right. Or else, flour, eggwash, then breadcrumbs. Don't turn the heat up too high or the breadcrumbs will burn.

Another way to cook squash/zucchini-slice thinly, skin on. Saute on top of the stove until just done, I sometimes add fresh basil & a few caraway seeds.

·
Registered
778 Posts
or skip the flour and just go egg wash and breadcrumbs. Just did some chicken fried deer steaks yesterday that way....yummy!

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
Take yellow or green summer squash about 8 inches long and slice in 3/8 slices. lay slices out separately on a microwaveable dish, sprinkle with Italian seasoning, then sprinkle with parmesan cheese and microwave for 2 minutes on high. If you have roma tomatoes, slice them the same and stack a tomato slice on top the Italian seasoned squash slice and sprinkle the parmesan on top the tomatoes. Very quick to make and very little fat or oil (no frying)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Another way is to make a squash stew. Cut squash into 1 inch cubes, add to crockpot with crushed tomatoes, onions, and some garlic, - salt & pepper too. No need for water, the juices of the squash and tomatoes will add plenty of liquid.

Good eats....

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
1/4" slices of squash, one small onion, and green/red pepper slices. Make a sealable pouch out of aluminum foil, layer the squash slices, peppers & onion, drizzle w/ olive oil & spinkle w/ garlic powder, salt & pepper (you could use garlic pepper too) ... repeat layering & spinkling until you used up all your squash. This makes a wonderful side dish when grilling. I usually keep this on the top rack while the meat is cooking. The squash mixture turn out tender and flavorful. Try it, you'll like it. Zuchini works well too.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Had some deep fried at a restaurant. Mush have been sliced in a slicer because they were pretty thin. Dipped in marinara sauce they were real good.

·
Registered
12,496 Posts
Varmintblaster, I thought my wife was the only one that made squash stew. She browns some fresh sausage in the pot before adding the squash, tomatoes and onions, but otherwise the same. She called it September stew because she usually makes it to use up the vegetables in the garden in late summer when the evenings first start to get cool.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
We make zuke soup all the time, same way....but, add the browned sausage, cube chicken breast in 1" cubes and brown add chicken stock, green beans cut into 1/4" pieces and simmer for about 2 hours. Like Zimmer said, uses up alot of the veggies. We make two stock pots at a time and freeze it for winter. The kids love to take it ice fishing and heat it up on the camp stove. Very hearty meal on the ice.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Steely Ran said:
1/4" slices of squash, one small onion, and green/red pepper slices. Make a sealable pouch out of aluminum foil, layer the squash slices, peppers & onion, drizzle w/ olive oil & spinkle w/ garlic powder, salt & pepper (you could use garlic pepper too) ... repeat layering & spinkling until you used up all your squash.
I do the same as above but I toss in tomato and fresh mushrooms. Just a little olive oil and Mrs. Dash with all squash turns out good as well.

When you get those giant ones that you missed picking - dig out the seedy middle like a canoe. Then make a stuffed pepper mix and put that in the hollow. I found baking the squash a bit empty helps if you like your squash more done and less crunchy.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
varmintblaster said:
Another way is to make a squash stew. Cut squash into 1 inch cubes, add to crockpot with crushed tomatoes, onions, and some garlic, - salt & pepper too. No need for water, the juices of the squash and tomatoes will add plenty of liquid.

Good eats....
I do the same, but just use squash and canned stewed tomatoes. Mmmmmm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts