The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year searching for sheepshead and I am not sure how they should be prepared. What do you do with them?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Use them just as you would use store bought mushrooms. I have put them on pizza, in pot roast, deep fried, in sauce, omlets, and on and on.

Kinzua Man

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I freezer bag them if I only have a small amount.

I canned them 1 time. Got a recipe somewhere, give me some time I can find it, if still interested.

Sautee with Olive Oil and or Butter/Margarine, onions, garlic.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Had my first ever taste of cream of sheepshead soup yesterday and it was great. Full of big chunky mushroom hunks in a thick creamy base. My friend found some after some much needed rain. Now my favorite for sure.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Mushroom soup, any kind. You can use several kinds if you like.

chopped mushrooms
butter and a little olive oil
two or three sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried
flour
chicken stock
salt
pepper
half tsp garlic powder
one tsp onion powder
Put butter with a tablespoon olive oil in pot, the amount depends on how much you are making. Half to 3/4 stick.
add mushrooms, onion powder, garlic powder and thyme with a pinch of salt and a grind or two of pepper. Saute till onions are soft at a low medium heat. When onions and mushrooms are soft add enough flour to make a rue, use a lot of flour7 or 8 table spoons, if you don't have enough liquid add more butter. You want a thick rue. Cook the rue on low heat constantly stirring for about ten minutes to cook off the raw flour taste. Then turn up heat to med high and add enough chicken stock to make the amount of soup you want constantly stirring or whisking to incorporate the rue and so the thick soup doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot and to make sure the lumps of rue are incorporated. When rue is incorporated and the soup is thick and smooth remove from heat and allow to cool for about a 20 minutes. To serve, add a half pint of heavy cream or less depending on taste and put back on burner at low heat and slowly bring up to temp. stirring constantly, when hot, taste and adjust salt and pepper and serve.

I wish I could give you better measurments but I don't measure, I have been doing it so long I just know how much to use.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Crocket,
I can not find my recipe for canning them.
I got a recipe 2 years ago from a relative on canning mushrooms without the need of a pressure cooker.

I believe it's called Hot Pack.

If anyone else here knows it, post away.

I need this one again too, I got another Sheepshead today that I want to can tomorrow/Sunday.
Guess I have to make a phone call to her..

I will get this one yet!!!

sorry for the delay!

·
Registered
274 Posts
pressure can. i soak in salt water then rinse. i bring a pot of water to boil. place the cleaned, cut to size shrooms in, bring to boil at least two minutes. drain, pack into cleaned quart jars,(preferably wide mouths)along with a teaspoon of salt and teaspoon of real lemon juice. cover with spring water (i don't use city water for canning), leave at least 1/2 inch head space or more. pressure can at 8lbs. for 10 minutes. been doin it this way since the early 80s. I date the jar so as to use oldest first. we took our last 09 jar out today for steeler game with a steak. I've already jarred about 10 jars this season. I have eaten pressure canned shrooms that were 2yrs old, taste just as good. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Crocket said:
still interested cowdawg

“Hot Pack Method”

For Canning Mushrooms without a Pressure Cooker or Canning Pot.

This is the method I use unless I freezer bag them.

Canned jars will last 2-3 years or unless sealed lid pops back up and airtight seal breaks. If seals break, always throw contents away.

1. Clean mushrooms:
Rinse pieces, Dice up to bite size pieces (your preference)
Soak in sink for 1 hour to get rid of dirt, leaves and bugs.
Rinse off well and Drain

2. In large pot put mushroom pieces, cold water and 1 teaspoon of Salt. (I use Sea Salt).
Bring contents to a fast boil, then stop. Boiling any longer takes flavor out of mushrooms. Skim off any dirty scum off surface.
But save the boiled water/juice. You use this later. This has all the mushroom flavors in it!

3. Canning Jars:
I use 1 quart canning jars, enough for 1 family meal.
Wash and dry canning jars to be used.
Check top of glass rim for any chips, this will prevent proper sealing process.
Wash canning lids. Both rings and gasket lids.

4. Pre-Heat oven to low heat setting.
Put in clean dry jars to pre-heat. This will prevent any jars from cracking later when adding boiled water/juice and mushrooms.

5. In a small separate pot, put your gasket lids in water and bring to boil.
Maintain boiling temperature throughout your entire procedure, it keeps rubber gaskets soft.

6. When everything comes to a boil.
Your ready to begin:

A: Take a preheated jar out of oven.
B: Scoop out mushrooms and loosely fill jar to bottom of goose neck on jar.
C: Add ½ teaspoon of Salt. (Sea salt)
D: Scoop out already boiled mushroom juice and add to jar, fill up to 1” from top of jar with the liquid.
E: Take dry towel and wipe top edge of glass rim clean.
F: Take out a boiled gasket lid and wipe dry, Set on top of canning jar. Screw on Ring Lid tightly. You will need hot pads or towel to do this as jars will be extremely hot.
G: Set on table top to cool and listen for lids to pop to ensure a proper airtight seal.

1 medium size Sheepshead made 4 canned quarts.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts