The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the PGC is doing some controlled burns through out the state, that should help a lot for new growth and browse for the deer and maybe keep the ticks down in that area for awhile. Nothing going on like that in 3C that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
25,492 Posts
They've already done at least two SGL burns that I know of, around here, with more scheduled.

According to what I've read, those burns usually kill upwards of 90% of the ticks and tick egg masses, not some.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I see the PGC is doing some controlled burns through out the state, that should help a lot for new growth and browse for the deer and maybe keep the ticks down in that area for awhile. Nothing going on like that in 3C that I'm aware of.
They burn every spring and again have a window later in the year too. The NE region has had a number of controlled burns the last couple years and already again this year too. It looks like there are like 4, maybe 5 for 3C.

Reactions: Waynzee

·
Registered
373 Posts
The agency may be trying a different approach to the tick problem in parts of central this year.

It is monsoon like weather, not trying to burn them out, just drown those little beggars.

Good rident to the tick- however the leave.

Dean Conklin

·
Registered
117 Posts
They burned just about all of the field cover on a near-by game land that I hunt pheasants on over the last 2 years in stages. They used to plant food crops, but I think they're just burning instead. We'll see. It's good though. Stuff springs up immediately and is so very green in a week. I'm all for it. Its nice to have more of a variety of natural cover, not just solid goldenrod or switchgrass.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
They've been burning various pheasant fields on the gamelands near me for the last 3 years on a rotating basis. It's incredible how quickly it regenerates. Within 2 weeks you wouldn't even know except for some charred treestumps and larger branches on the ground. Unless you look closely you wouldn't even notice.

It does seem to help with the ticks as I pick up considerably less in those fields that I do in the woods.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
The PGC burned GL 54 again today. There is a bunch of black area. Does anyone know how many acres they burned on Gamelands 54 the last 2 days? Rumors have it around 500...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Does burning affect nesting turkeys this time of year? Does PGC even care?
Burns are controlled by humidity and wind, if the conditions are not right they will not and cannot burn, it would be too risky. If a burn is needed to manage the land they must do it when they can. It is a big deal and requires many people to comply with the requirements the state has put on controlled burns. A few nests lost as collateral damage pales in comparison the the good the burns do.

Reactions: LONZO and Waynzee

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
Do controlled burns kill invasive brush like autumn olive and multi-flora rose and shrub honeysuckle?
Sometimes it does but usually it requires multiple burns over a two or three year period.

They are currently testing to see how many burns it takes to set back some patches of black locust on part of SGL 44.

Some black locust is good but there are places where it is taking over the warm season grass fields. That isn't so good.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Do controlled burns kill invasive brush like autumn olive and multi-flora rose and shrub honeysuckle?
Autumn Olive produces great tasting berries when picked at the right time but it is getting out of control in some areas where you can't walk 10 feet without running into those.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Autumn Olive as well as Multi flora rose was one of the things pushed by the Dept of Ag and the Dept of forestry and the PGC as habitat as food for wildlife and fence row plantings for farms. By the time they were declared a full blown problem and noxious weed because of the spreading uncontrollably by the same people who were pushing the planting of them for wildlife habitat they were out of control, being spread by birds and other species that ate the berries and rose hips. The down side is they created a problem because of the indiscriminate spreading and the difficulty of controlling the propagation of the plants they were pretty much out of control. The bottom line is, whether the shrubs are good or bad depends on what you want to do with your land.

Reactions: jimbridger

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
WW where I hunt down in Greene Co. the older hunters told me when they were young and got their hunting licenses the people that sold the licenses gave packets of seed too disperse while hunting and it was Multi Flora Rose from what they told me. Like you said it was for habitat and all back in the day WW. :turkey_track:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts