The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Among the biggest surprises in the survey, said Aiken, was a significant drop in Pennsylvania hunting participation, from just over 1 million in 2006 to 775,000 in 2011.
"Pennsylvania didn't follow the national trend," said Aiken. "I expected Pennsylvania to be high in hunting. The number wasn't where I expected."
It wasn't where the state Game Commission expected, either. Pennsylvania sold 945,892 hunting licenses in 2006 and 933,208 in 2011. Game Commission spokesman Jerry Feaser declined to comment on the disparity, but Aiken suggested a statistical anomaly may explain the difference between the state's documented license sale numbers and the Fish and Wildlife Service's participation estimate.
"Surveys are best at estimating a confidence interval, not a point estimate," he said. "For Pennsylvania hunters in 2011, we are 95 percent confident the correct number is between 558,000 and 992,000, with a midpoint of 775,000. There was a confidence interval around that 1 million 2006 number, too, somewhere around 900,000 to 1.1 million."
Or, he said, people could have bought hunting licenses but didn't go hunting.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
oilcrk said:
Among the biggest surprises in the survey, said Aiken, was a significant drop in Pennsylvania hunting participation, from just over 1 million in 2006 to 775,000 in 2011.
"Pennsylvania didn't follow the national trend," said Aiken. "I expected Pennsylvania to be high in hunting. The number wasn't where I expected."
It wasn't where the state Game Commission expected, either. Pennsylvania sold 945,892 hunting licenses in 2006 and 933,208 in 2011. Game Commission spokesman Jerry Feaser declined to comment on the disparity, but Aiken suggested a statistical anomaly may explain the difference between the state's documented license sale numbers and the Fish and Wildlife Service's participation estimate.
"Surveys are best at estimating a confidence interval, not a point estimate," he said. "For Pennsylvania hunters in 2011, we are 95 percent confident the correct number is between 558,000 and 992,000, with a midpoint of 775,000. There was a confidence interval around that 1 million 2006 number, too, somewhere around 900,000 to 1.1 million."
Or, he said, people could have bought hunting licenses but didn't go hunting.
That study has the accuracy of a weather report. i do believe we are in decline, but why not just use license sales?

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
Twin Springs said:
Alpine Shooter said:
If the 1 day gun hunters did not buy a license there would be a large drop.
Thats the truth!
X2! Things continue the way they are in MANY areas of Pa and u will see just that. Wouldn't mind it myself but I laugh that anyone would be surprised or expect different when u choose to brutally change ur cash cow species.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
The problem also being here, is we are not replacing the old with the young. And with Pa, not being the small game hunting and open hunting property it used to be kids are bored by it. No child wants to sit and freeze behind 4' high fence with posters on it for long periods of time.

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
We can expect to see large declines. The demographics are what they are. We are gaining some 10 to 12k people a week into medicare right now. The boomers are aging in to old age and and of the things they have done.

The average age of the Pennsylvania hunter is in the 45 year old range. That is the age the legs and for some desire let out.

The lack of interest by our youth is also a problem. Not just in PA either. The failure of our sons and daughters and for some grand kids to back fill our ranks is taking a toll on our numbers.

Demographics guys. Now and into the future, they will tell the tale. Support and take part in the mentoring program when you can. Even with out sons and daughters, it is never to late. Sometimes later in life it becomes easier for some to return to their roots and traditions.

·
Banned
979 Posts
cmc5028 said:
The 1 day'ers are a sign of failed deer management
Your opinion or do you have proof??? Please provide evidence or could it be that many 1 day hunters have priorties such as work, family, school, etc???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
less deer = less sales

just like less stocked trout = less sales

Its not rocket science. Hunters don't care about carrying capacity and biological studies and science, they want to see and shoot deer.

PGC will continue to successfully alienate the very people who fund the organization.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Lower the price of a license and you'll see many more "1 day'ers" buying a license. Many who hunt in PA anymore don't participate year round and only hunt deer a few days a year. These types might even be the majority of PA hunters,if not now then in the near future. If they want more PA hunters lower the price of a hunting license and find alternative funding for the Agency.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had an interesting experience with "hunter recruitment". I just held a meeting in my neighborhood for people interested in hunting but who've never hunted before to talk about strategies for gaining hunting skills, making contacts with mentors, how to take the hunter safety course, etc. It was interesting to hear about why people had developed an interest in hunting. I expected more of an overall interest in eating wild game, learning survival/DIY skills, connection with nature, etc. There was that, for sure, but there was also a preponderance of interest in dealing with animals acting as pests which, around here, is very many of the animals that are legal to hunt in PA. That was kind of interesting to hear people express a real need to just be able to deal with animals that are problematic in the human environment (threatening crops on urban farms, invading boarded-up houses, etc.). None of it is legal in the city except archery hunting on private land and special deer culls, but it was clear people were feeling like they were somewhat overrun which turned them on to the conservation/game and pest management side of hunting. It wasn't just an idealized idea of being a hunter for folks, it was practical skills they wanted.

I've been kind of surprised at the progress people have made in actually finding opportunities to learn to hunt (there were about 10 people at the meeting) - very encouraging so far. I always try to speak positively about hunting and I find people mostly have a deep respect for it. It would be really a huge problem in our area if there were not hunters. I sure wish hunters could help manage the possum and raccoon families living on my block, in fact. But mostly we need hunting because the impact of the deer population has been so devastating.

·
Registered
695 Posts
everyone just wants big racks like the see on tv hunting shows..the pcg has sold the whole state out with this. Ruined hunting in this state wit that crap.
Used to be full camps the whole two weeks of "deer" season. Just keep shooting every doe you see. People are so dumb. You are playing right into the hands of what they want.
Look at the treads on here for pics back in the day. I don't se starving deer or lesser bucks. even if they are lesser bucks so what!..you had happy hunters and camps full with happy hunters...cant put a price tag on that imo...some serious cahnges need to happen and soon or kiss it all goodbye

·
Banned
979 Posts
cmc5028 said:
less deer = less sales

just like less stocked trout = less sales

Its not rocket science. Hunters don't care about carrying capacity and biological studies and science, they want to see and shoot deer.

PGC will continue to successfully alienate the very people who fund the organization.
A lot of crying going on here, the PGC doesn't make the hunter pull the trigger on every doe they see, they have the choice to shoot or to let it walk, the only people to blame for area's lacking deer are the hunters themselves, if you don't like how many does your seeing in your area then don't shoot does, IT"S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!I hunt the Northern Tier, Central & Southeast and the populations are great, a little restraint goes a long way!

And yeah the PGC sure is trying to alienate the ones who fund them, acquiring new land open to hunting that was never open in years past, creating the mentored youth hunt to peak youngsters interest in hunting, adding an extra week in bow season to allow archers a chance to actually hunt during the rut and allowing hunters to hunt through the end of January in more populated areas such as the SE & SW, such a bunch of mean people they are! People always cry about change and you can never make everybody happy, if your not happy with how Pa manages its herd then go try some other wonderful state, I mean the grass is always greener on the other side...Things aren't going back to the way they used to be so the whiners might want to take up a new sport or just hang em up all together and leave the woods to the ones who truely want to be there! The good Ole days, back when a Pa 11pt was nothing more then a spike buck, please don't go back to them times! I'm thinking of taking up stock in Cleanex as there is alot of crying going on here!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
"For Pennsylvania hunters in 2011, we are 95 percent confident the correct number is between 558,000 and 992,000,"

Quite a range.....

·
Registered
19,672 Posts
Bluetick said:
We can expect to see large declines. The demographics are what [size:8pt][/size]they are. We are gaining some 10 to 12k people a week into medicare right now. The boomers are aging in to old age and and of the things they have done.

The average age of the Pennsylvania hunter is in the 45 year old range. That is the age the legs and for some desire let out.

The lack of interest by our youth is also a problem. Not just in PA either. The failure of our sons and daughters and for some grand kids to back fill our ranks is taking a toll on our numbers.

Demographics guys. Now and into the future, they will tell the tale. Support and take part in the mentoring program when you can. Even with out sons and daughters, it is never to late. Sometimes later in life it becomes easier for some to return to their roots and traditions.
Pretty much it in a nutshell. Demographics are changing here and across this country. We are witnessing the changes as we speak with many issues. Sure, less deer have contributed somewhat to the problem here but we would still be seeing the decline in hunter participation either way.

We are pretty much powerless to stop demographic changes but we have much power as a group if we stick together as I preach often. We, as hunters, often choose to fight and divide over pro hunting initiatives though as our numbers shrink. That, my friends, is a big hurdle.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Poor forest management and Leasing presages a hunter decline.

·
Registered
20,189 Posts
cmc5028 said:
The 1 day'ers are a sign of failed deer management
I don’t agree with that. I think there are so many opening day hunters because not many guys get 4 or 5 weeks vacation anymore and vacation time they do get is spent with families.
It use to be archery hunting was a part of the overall hunting experience ,now it seems like many only are hunting archery.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts