The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between 22 lr and 22 match? I see barrels for both advertised and didn't know if that's totally different ammo(is the ammo interchangable)?

The second question is; I see grips and receivers for sale without barrels, and barrels sold separately too. Is there any problem with buying them separately(if I remember correctly the G2 can take the original contender barrels but not the other way around). Do the forearms change with the different caliber barrels or do they stay the same?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
22 & 22 match barrels use the same ammo. Match chamber is cut to tighter tolerances (supposedly) and should be more accurate.

You can pretty well mix and match everything between the old style and G2 contenders EXCEPT BUTTSTOCKS AND GRIPS. The G2 has a different frame configuration and old style buttstocks and grips won't work.

Barrels, forends, etc. should all interchange, although sometimes you have to tweak the locking bolts, or change them out to a newer split-lug style to get them to mate up correctly. Forends aren't caliber specific, but they are made for specific lengths of barrels, ie, 10", 14", 16" and rifle lenght. Also, I belive the old octagonal barrels used specific snap on forends.

It really gets confusing when you get into the Armor Alloy frames/barrels (looks like stainless but is not). Long story short, stay with blue or stainless and everything pretty much interchanges.

visit greybeard outdoors for more info.

bownut

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
there is a lot of good info here and on graybeard's.
Most things are a mix and match and I do have a few 10" octagon barrels and they do take their own forearm cut to match the oct. barrel but mine does use a screw to hold it on with.
There are three different frames in the regular contender and they will all take any of the regular contender barrels.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

I'm looking to buy a .22 barreled contender for squirrel and coon hunting(it's a pain chasing after the coondogs at night with the .22 rifle but I like the accuracy of the 3-9X power scope).

One more question. Are the barrels all tapped for scope mounts?

Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts