The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Contender G2- 209X50 a couple of months and have not had the chance to shoot it yet. Now I see that Thompson Center discountinued the G2 inline for 2010. Maybe I am just leary of shooting it now because I am wondering why TC quit production of a great little light weight inline. Did anyone ever have a saftey issue with them? I tought about calling TC but figured they would just tell me the sales of that model was poor. Anyone have any ideas or stories about the G2 inline?

·
Registered
850 Posts
the g2 muzzleloader barrels got a pin in the lug so not to work on older contender frames.pair of vicegrips pull pin mount on any tender frame. works fine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
keyway,the 209X50 Contender has noticable recoil and may be T/C had to many complaints of it.If you're not satisfied with it,I might be interested in it,just a thought.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Tc has went back and forth with offering an MZ barrel for the Contender frame for years. Personally I have never seen a factory MZ barrel for the Contender. I had one once, but it was a Bullberry custom barrel. I do not know why they are so indecisive about offering an MZ barrel for the Contender. They may be afraid of people overloading the frame?? Tom.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The black powder barrels on a contender frame have a breech plug therefore no breech thrust to the frame's wall other than strain on the hinge pin.
Fred Rodney worked for TC and recommended the ML barrel. They wouldn't take him up on it so he quit and started Gonic Arms. Enter the GA-90
Here's a 16" 45 caliber with custom stock

Here's one with a 20" barrel

They both are great designs and perform with flawless function..
I would have preferred full bore breech plugs but I've learned to clean them the way they are
Excellent shooters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts