The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about getting another barrel , not sure what caliber 204 223 or 22-250 any suggedtions thamks yamaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
no..you CAN'T do 22-250 in the Contender, even if it is custom. You'll stretch the frame. Contenders are only for LOW pressure cartridges.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,532 Posts
bownut said:
no..you CAN'T do 22-250 in the Contender, ...... Contenders are only for LOW pressure cartridges.
I never knew this. (But I don't have a contender)

So what are the low-pressure centerfire rifle rounds that can be fired in a Contender?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
850 Posts
and if you really want to learn about tc guns visit specialty pistols website.you will see more wildcat chamberings than you could ever imagine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
jim stemler said:
and if you really want to learn about tc guns visit specialty pistols website.you will see more wildcat chamberings than you could ever imagine.
+1 and add graybeard outdoors forum to that

Tons of TC pistol knowledge and some great deals to be had
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
John Henry said:
bownut said:
no..you CAN'T do 22-250 in the Contender, ...... Contenders are only for LOW pressure cartridges.
I never knew this. (But I don't have a contender)

So what are the low-pressure centerfire rifle rounds that can be fired in a Contender?
I believe 45-70, 45LC and 30-30, I have 222, 223 and 7mmTCU (223 necked up to 7mm) rifle barrels for my contender. The TCU worked this year on a 395# black bear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
whats the difference between a standard contender and a G2 frame? i have a contender frame from mid 90's. also i see that the encore is the top dog frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,191 Posts
rhbuilds said:
whats the difference between a standard contender and a G2 frame? i have a contender frame from mid 90's. also i see that the encore is the top dog frame.
The visible difference is there's NO engraving on a G2 (unless it was a special run or custom done). They are easy to distinguish from an old style contender, but they do look similar to an Encore, just smaller. G2's are easily identified by this lack of engraving and that the serial numbers start with the prefix "G". Stainless old style contenders had an "S" prefix, and Armor Alloy had an "A", etc.

The big physical difference with the G2 is that you can cock the hammer, uncock it, and re-cock it without opening. With the old style contenders, if you cocked and then de-cocked the hammer, you'd have to open the action to reset the sear, in order to re-cock the hammer.

G2 and Old style contenders use different grips/buttstocks. The grip angle is slightly different and because of that they are not interchangeable. I have no experience with them, but some report the trigger quality stinks with the G2, whereas my old style contender triggers are superb.

The difference between the G2 and Encore is the size. Encores can handle higher PRESSURE rounds like 243, 7-08, 30-06, even 300 Win Mag. But they can also handle any smaller rounds, 22LR, 223, etc. G2's only handle lower pressure rounds, like the old style contenders.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top