The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive 200 - 300 miles a day for work, and there has been construction on one of the major highways nearby all summer long. There are signs about a mile or two warning of the construction and one lane being closed... Some people merge into the right lane immediately, and that lane can back up for over a mile, while the left lane remains mostly empty to the merge point. A lot of drivers that are patiently waiting in the mile long back up get really irritated at those drivers smart enough to use both lanes until the merge point. I've seen drivers try to straddle the line and try to block other cars using the left lane....I've seen drivers hug the bumper of the car in front of them and refuse to allow anyone to merge on their turn. It all makes the traffic so much worse when some self-righteous driver thinks he's doing the right thing by being a butt.... If we all used both lanes and we each take our turn at the merge point, traffic flows smoothly. Don't be mad at me just because I didn't wait in a 20 minute backup, while the lane right next to you is empty!! I'm not cutting in front of you, or butting in line!

So which guy are you?

·
Registered
7,663 Posts
I usually take the more scenic routes when construction get "crazy"

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
move over as soon as you see the signs and do not wait until the last foot and the line would go faster and there will be less wrecks!

·
Super Moderator
26,974 Posts
If we all used both lanes and we each take our turn at the merge point, traffic flows smoothly.
The key word there is IF.

I always felt that if everyone used those two miles to merge, the traffic would flow better. That is, until I spent 6 years in Germany. Their law is to use both lanes and merge using the zipper method right a the start of the single lane. Germans being Germans, everyone normally followed that law and the traffic never backed up much.
But here, you have either butt heads like you mentioned who try to play traffic cop and block others. Or you have those that can't understand the concept of merging correctly by alternating. Either way, you end up with a backup.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
i also drive for a living. if you ever notice most interstate constructions have a lane closed sign with a merge shortly after. if people would form a single lane when there is a chance they wouldn't have to STOP to let in those that want to run the closed lane the whole way to the end. a friends wife was killed when a moron wouldn't slow to get merged and they ran the cones, believing someone had to let them in. they lost a mojor lawsuit being the merge sign was 2 miles from the constructrion. merge when it says merge

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
comblockshooter said:
i also drive for a living. if you ever notice most interstate constructions have a lane closed sign with a merge shortly after. if people would form a single lane when there is a chance they wouldn't have to STOP to let in those that want to run the closed lane the whole way to the end. a friends wife was killed when a moron wouldn't slow to get merged and they ran the cones, believing someone had to let them in. they lost a mojor lawsuit being the merge sign was 2 miles from the constructrion. merge when it says merge
Yup, butt-heads abound in both lanes... I'm sorry about your friend's wife. Making aggressive moves in the left lane is not what I'm suggesting at all, that would be stupid. But if you're cruising at 15 MPH in the right lane traffic, and I'm doing 30 MPH in the left...shouldn't I be able to slow down to your speed and merge into your lane safely, without a bunch of people driving agressively in the right lane to block people from safely merging, convinced by themselves that it's okay since they were driving extremely defensive 15 minutes ago when they merged into the long line of traffic?

I'm also not saying that it's a bad decision to merge early either. No matter when you merge, early or late...if you're able to merge without being blocked by a resentful driver, traffic will move more smoothly.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Totally diagree w/ your logic Rugged Hunter! This sets a bad example to say the least! Merge signs mean MERGE. Not continue cruising the left lane and expect those waiting paitently to let you in. This is more a personality issue than anything. I can't see how you can justify wanting to be left in a mile down the road in front of hundreds of vehicles that have been following directions?????

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If we all used both lanes, then the line you waited in would've only been half as long. There's nothing wrong, with choosing to wait in line, but it is just that....a choice. You don't have to sit there. But blocking traffic is what slows traffic down....hundreds of drivers, needlessly lining up in single file, long before necessary, just makes a really long line. It's not my actions that are aggressive or a violation of any traffic law, or the cause of you waiting so long in traffic...but if you're option 3 or 4, it's your actions that are aggressive and in violation, and contributing to the problem, making everyone behind you suffer.

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
comblockshooter said:
My point.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Under normal traffic conditions.... If everyone would get in the "open" lane, traffic would continue to flow through the construction zone with no need to even worry about merging. People around here seem to insist on waiting til the last moment and demand that others let them in. This in turn means that we end up coming to a complete stop in BOTH lanes while doing the "polite" thing and following this bizzarre merge at the last moment idea.
I will NOT block the other lane while waiting. On the other hand, I'm not going out of my way to allow 5 cars in front of me which is exactly what ignorant people try to do nearly every time I do the "polite" thing. Like most people, I end up stopping, (which as mentioned earlier ends up backing up the ENTIRE HIGHWAY)to allow someone in and then get nasty looks and horns when I won't let the car behind him in too.
Think about it. If everyone would just get in the correct lane, traffic would keep MOVING instead of stopping in this stupid merge point garbage.

·
Super Moderator
26,974 Posts
IF has been the key word in most replies.
Personally, I think either everyone using the two miles leading up to the construction zone to merge, or using both lanes to the construction zone and using the zipper effect for merging would work.......<span style='font-size: 14pt'>IF</span> everyone used common sense and courtesy!

Neither way works IF they don't.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Rugged Hunter said:
I drive 200 - 300 miles a day for work, and there has been construction on one of the major highways nearby all summer long. There are signs about a mile or two warning of the construction and one lane being closed... Some people merge into the right lane immediately, and that lane can back up for over a mile, while the left lane remains mostly empty to the merge point. A lot of drivers that are patiently waiting in the mile long back up get really irritated at those drivers smart enough to use both lanes until the merge point. I've seen drivers try to straddle the line and try to block other cars using the left lane....I've seen drivers hug the bumper of the car in front of them and refuse to allow anyone to merge on their turn. It all makes the traffic so much worse when some self-righteous driver thinks he's doing the right thing by being a butt.... If we all used both lanes and we each take our turn at the merge point, traffic flows smoothly. Don't be mad at me just because I didn't wait in a 20 minute backup, while the lane right next to you is empty!! I'm not cutting in front of you, or butting in line!

So which guy are you?
I see it completely opposite of you. When you see a sign saying a lane is closed ahead, it's best to get in the open lane as soon as you can. If everyone did that, the traffic would flow thru just fine. However, there are always those who use that as an excuse to run the other lane to get in front of as many people as possible, and then expect someone to slow down so they can merge into the lane they should have gotten in two miles back. You see it as smart; I see it as selfish. They are the reason the line balls up at the merge point; folks have to slow down (or even stop) to let them in. Just my take on it.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
The gist of this whole thread is the "me first" "I want it now" mentality that exists in the US today. Everyone thinks their way is the only way. Bottom line is this, anytime you have two lanes funneling down to one, there are going to be backups. Slow down, be patient and take your turn whichever choice you make. A little bit of PATIENCE would make all of these situations better.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
WilySpike said:
move over as soon as you see the signs and do not wait until the last foot and the line would go faster and there will be less wrecks!
Exactly ...if everyone moved to the open lane as soon as you are aware there would be ZERO reason for the line to STOP completely....which happens almost all of the time.

·
Registered
19,940 Posts
I'm a none of the above kind of guy. I80 has been under construction around Emlenton for the past couple months. I've been jumping off at Clintonville and taking 208/322/66 to camp. It probably would take just as long if I sat in the traffic line but I hate sitting still in traffic, especially when I'm going to camp.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some of you guys don't make sense. As long as people are able to merge smoothly without being blocked, traffic moves without problem. It makes no difference when that process happens...2 miles early...1/2 mile early...500 ft early. If you have to come to a STOP to allow someone in, then you have failed to allow enough cusion for that driver to take his turn. Your fault...not his. If you have to STOP then you are the one STOPPING traffic. You are the agressive driver...you are the one with the "me first" attitude...you and drivers like you are the cause of the backup. Don't trick yourself into believing its the other guy because of the righteous feeling you get by resenting others in the other lane.

When one car is given room and a 2nd one trie to cut in right behind, that 2nd driver is also being a butt and is just as big of a problem...maybe more.
A little courtesy from everybody will keep everyone moving...

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Rugged Hunter said:
You are the agressive driver...you are the one with the "me first" attitude...you and drivers like you are the cause of the backup. Don't trick yourself into believing its the other guy because of the righteous feeling you get by resenting others in the other lane.

A little courtesy from everybody will keep everyone moving...
I see it completely different. If I have to stop, it's not because I want to; it's because someone was too stubborn to change lanes 2miles back, and now expects everyone else to slow down so they can get in line. If they had shifted earlier, EVERYBODY would get where they are going faster.

I do agree with your last comment about courtesy.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Your coffee cup says "Contents are HOT" DUHHHHH they might be hot, common sense. You see a sign that states "MERGE POINT 2 MILES AHEAD" any smart person would merge before the 2 miles are up because they know how other drivers are and how 99% of you are in a hurry to get nowhere.

Guess what, and when that someone decides to cut you off and either clip your bumper or misjudge it and hit the median, myself as the firefighter will be there to save you.

By the way, when driving GET OFF THE CELL PHONE!!!! that causes more accidents than a 6yr old playing with matchbox cars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts