The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what if the wco sees a junior hunter under 16 hunting alone? will he get in trouble or will he tell him to go back home.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
They will most likley get a citation.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
mink1456 said:
what if the wco sees a junior hunter under 16 hunting alone? will he get in trouble or will he tell him to go back home.
I contact a parent on the spot and I issue the citation to the parents under the Liability for actions of others.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
WCO said:
mink1456 said:
I contact a parent on the spot and I issue the citation to the parents under the Liability for actions of others.
-------------- NICE-----------

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Tail Whipped said:
WCO said:
mink1456 said:
-------------- NICE-----------
Its a heck of a lot better than citing the kid.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Why are you guys ripping him for doing the right thing? A kid does not need to be running around the woods without a responsible adult. I think that citing the parents is alot better than hammering the kid. Would you rather that he have the kids liscense revoked?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Just think that the WCO's jump right to some monetary punishment.

What about a warning, some community service on the Sate Game Lands ??????

Nope right to the monetary citations.

That'll fix em

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I was just thinking.. I think community service on SGL would be an awesome idea for guys cited for things throughout the year.. We all get sick of seeing the trash, and some of us pick it up while others just leave it there.. It would be a great way to clean everything up!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Did you read the news report about the two kids hunting unaccompanied that were involved in a shooting?

One brother shot the other brother and killed him. Happened in Washington County two or three years ago. Kind of influences you when you have to investigate that situation. My guess is that you never had to figure out why a young person's life was lost.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
Maybe we could just tell them "no thats bad...dont do it again" and maybe they can get a timeout in the timeout chair....that would get them to understand right?

Wonder if that will work for more serious offenses as well?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
mastertracker said:
My guess is that you never had to figure out why a young person's life was lost.

Please,Dick Chaney shot another Hunter.

SOOO Since the 16 year old is accompanied by an adult the same accident cant happen?

I'm not trying to change the Law its a good Law.
No argument here

Just lookin at different avenues to handle it.

Just Sayin

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Lifes2Fun said:
Maybe we could just tell them "no thats bad...dont do it again" and maybe they can get a timeout in the timeout chair....that would get them to understand right?

LF2F,
I did not think of the Time out Chair
That might work

Are we TALKIN serious offenses here? Why would you even bring up more serious offenses?
SOOO a $ penalty would serve better that painting fences for the PGC ?or other community work?

The Money would hurt the family. In most cases kids do not have an appreciation for money.
Take there TIME away then you send a message. So the TIME OUT Chair just might work

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I dont believe community service is a punishment permitted by this offense, its either fine the kid, or fine the parent.

I was making a joke of your comment about giving them a warning.
Your first option to teach this kid that its wrong is to "warn him"
I agree in teaching him, but evidently the "warning" didnt sink in when he was in HTE class when that was taught

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Just a little story about a incident I had when I was younger.

Went out hunting before a Saturday football game, I was 17 years old, but had bought my licenses before then and had a JR. License.

Headed out to the local game lands, to hunt the youth pheasant hunt, it was a jr. hunt, I had a jr. license, I was ok right? I was 16 so I could hunt with out an adult.

I hunted for a few hours, didn't shoot anything, thank goodness, and headed back to the truck. Upon arriving at the truck I was met by the WCO and informed I was in violation.

I was shown this issue in question in the regs book and the wildlife code, told how I violated it, and the WCO issued me a written warning. I learned my lesson and now double and triple check all regs before I head afield.

Perhaps the best case for a youngster in this situation, would be a written warning, and a talk with his parents. I don't see where a fine would be needed unless he was really a problem with the officer.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Kinda derailing the subject because we all agree with the law just a different way to serve up the consequences.

The neighborhood kid was shooting twity birds with a BB gun.
No Lic
No hunter ED
Twitty birds
Hunting with a BB gun

Wonder what the fines would be for that Royal Flush

I spoke to the parents and being very good citizens and parents they took the gun away (kid just got it for a Bday gift)
Punished him with a grounding .
I suggested he take part in our annual Watershed clean up Day'It rained like heck that day and my man had no rain gear.
Soaked and cold to the bone.
Dont know if it worked but I'm sure he would have rather paid a$250 fine then go thru that.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Tail Whipped said:
Lifes2Fun said:

LF2F,
I did not think of the Time out Chair
That might work

Are we TALKIN serious offenses here? Why would you even bring up more serious offenses?
SOOO a $ penalty would serve better that painting fences for the PGC ?or other community work?

The Money would hurt the family. In most cases kids do not have an appreciation for money.
Take there TIME away then you send a message. So the TIME OUT Chair just might work
1. The law does not provide for community service.
2. I warn little Johnny, he goes on his way and has some kind of accident, guess who Mom and Dad is sueing? Its a differnt world now.
3. How bout parents take responsibility for the kids?
4. Until you investigate a shooting incident of a dead kid, deal with the family and never be able to get that picture out of your mind, you have no idea on what we "should do".

1 - 20 of 121 Posts