The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 2 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say I have hunted since 1964 and killed deer with a rifle, bow, handgun, and muzzleloader. I realize misses occur for various reasons. To every one of you who filled a tag or two I'll say congrats but why do you have to post that you missed 5 or 6 times before that or that many times and have never hit anything? I know the chances of an anti-hunter reading the posts are slim but it isn't what I would want them to be reading. If someone posted things like that in the rifle hunting or bowhunting forums people would jump all over them telling them to practice more or calling them slob hunters who have no business in the woods. Does anyone else see my point? I have never killed a really big buck but if I did I would want people to see it or if it was my 1st, etc. I wouldn't post I was out and missed a half dozen deer today but boy was it fun! Then another dozen respond, but wasn't it a blast, boy nothing beats the old smokepole. The archers get blamed for all the wounded deer people see in rifle season but who is out there after black powder to see or find the ones we wounded in the late season? All I am saying is that misses happen but I wouldn't want 20,000 people knowing about it and have someone hold it against us.

· Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good responses from both points of view. I'll admit to having arrows deflected by unseen greenbriars and witnessed my Dad kill a sapling one time when I was too young to hunt myself, it happens. It seems to happen to some on a regular basis. I was talking to a friend at work who is a good hunter with rifle, bow, and flinter about a few of these posts and ask what his brother would say if it were him doing the posting and his reply was that he would say, " If your not a better shot than that you have no business being in the woods with that weapon". A flash in the pan is one thing but continued misses are another.

1 - 2 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.