The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Waited for my daughter to get home to check the traps. when we arrived, two archery hunters had their truck parked near my one trap. It was sprung. after looking at it I saw some fur. I asked one of them if they saw anything in it. said there was a small coon when they arrived. guy said he walked away and when he came back the coon was gone. just concerned that an animal in the trap all night and morning and all of a sudden it is gone. should I be worried that they may have released or took the coon? He also mentioned I had an opossum in the other trap on the other side of the cornfield. he also mentioned I should trap in a neighbors field. maybe I should've taken the traps and went home. sorry so long.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Well if they were gonna take stuff they would have already taken everything.

I used to fret over loosing stuff to thieves Now I just move on and put it out of my mind.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will tomorrow. Daughter wanted to go today. Got her out at 2 today. Couldn't get the girl to hunt, so I looked at this as a Blessing to spend time with her in the woods. step at a time with her. have to check and remove tomorrow morning. 12 hour days killing me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
IV had them stolen riped apart smashed catches stolen. All part of sharing the woods prob the same guys leaving coffie cups and wrapers and bottles all over its said when I get home IV got to clean my truvk out and its not even my junk. I don't pick it all up but if walk by it I grab it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
I always check traps early because of trap and fur theft. It's happened too many times for me. My work day begins at 5:30 AM so I'm up at 3:30 AM and out the door before 4 to check traps. The bad thing with that is the critters are still running up through first light. Many time I've seen eyes shining by my traps only to see it run off when I approach.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I pulled onto a property one day to see two guys at the far end standing around one of my sets. As I drove down there they began walking away. They were small game hunting/trespassing so I motioned them back to me.
I saw that I had a large possum in the trap and it was still alive, but had a drip of blood running down it's eyes and a steaming .22 bullet wound right in the middle of the head.
They were a father/son duo carrying a shotgun and a .22 rifle.

They swore on each others lives that they had nothing to do with the possum. They saw it there, but they swear they didn't shoot it.

I honestly didn't care one bit, but I still told them they were lying to my face.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Probably a toe catch on the coon and he chewed off and pulled out. Coon are notorious for chewing their toes when they go numb. They will sure shine a trap up for you though!! Lol

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
Fairchild #17 said:
I pulled onto a property one day to see two guys at the far end standing around one of my sets. As I drove down there they began walking away. They were small game hunting/trespassing so I motioned them back to me.
I saw that I had a large possum in the trap and it was still alive, but had a drip of blood running down it's eyes and a steaming .22 bullet wound right in the middle of the head.
They were a father/son duo carrying a shotgun and a .22 rifle.

They swore on each others lives that they had nothing to do with the possum. They saw it there, but they swear they didn't shoot it.

I honestly didn't care one bit, but I still told them they were lying to my face.
When I was 16 I had a guy nailed for blowing two apart in my traps with his 20ga. Saw him do it. Turned out he had a resident PA and resident NY license (NY was his legal one). He didn't have a furtajer license. He got nailed pretty hard for it. It bothers me just as much if it is a possum or a coyote. My traps are my traps. Wish I could he laid back sometimes about things like that. But I have been stolen from so much. I'm sure you have too though, like everyone that traps any at all.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hunterknapp16 said:
Probably a toe catch on the coon and he chewed off and pulled out. Coon are notorious for chewing their toes when they go numb. They will sure shine a trap up for you though!! Lol
LOL Hunterknapp16, no toe. Fur was in between the Trap. There Truck was beside the Trap. It's over now, there are plenty of critters in the woods. Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts