The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a game warden insist on a body search or make a person with a concealed carry permit produce his handgun for no good reason other than harassment while the person is hunting or just walking in the woods?

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
I know they can request to see your carry permit. Pretty sure they can ask for the firearm as well. For instance, carrying a handgun while archery hunting. It's legal but my understanding is that it needs to be a carry weapon. Not like a scoped t/c encore handgun with a scope. To me it's reasonable for them to check the type of handgun.
If you're just out walking, I'm not too sure what the legality of just approaching and asking for that stuff. They would need some probable cause.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I may be wrong but if you are stopped by law enforcement don't you have to announce that you are carrying concealed??

·
Registered
338 Posts
Pennsylvania is not a must inform state.

If they notice you are carrying concealed they have a right to ask to see your license, because you need a license to concealed.

·
Registered
24,753 Posts
901. Powers and duties of enforcement officers.

(a) Powers.--Any officer whose duty it is to enforce this title or any officer investigating any alleged violation of this title shall have the power and duty to:

(8) Conduct administrative inspections of persons, licenses and permits, firearms, ammunition and other implements of taking,

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
"Conduct administrative inspections of <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">persons, licenses and permits, firearms, ammunition and other implements of taking.</span></span>

I read the above statement pertaining to guns, ammo, permits, etc... <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">for taking</span></span> (taking or hunting of game) and a CCW auto is not germain to that.

That is like a LEO stopping you on the street, just to make sure you have a valid drivers license. Can he do that without just cause?

·
Registered
830 Posts
The Right to Bear Arms is a RIGHT.

carrying a Firearm Concealed is a PRIVELEGE granted by the State subejct to regs you agreed upon when you obtained your LTCF.

A law officer can check you and your weapon out anywhere, anytime he/she desires.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
HD1969 said:
The Right to Bear Arms is a RIGHT.

carrying a Firearm Concealed is a PRIVELEGE granted by the State subejct to regs you agreed upon when you obtained your LTCF.

A law officer can check you and your weapon out anywhere, anytime he/she desires.
I agree that it is a privilege to have a LTCF, but I disagree with your last sentence. My understanding is that you LTCF must be produced upon lawful demand of an officer. Demanding or forcing you to show them your CC weapon without cause is not lawful. I would think that would be an unlawful search, even if it is my person they are searching.

I would like to see the regs you mention that state I must show a LEO my firearm at any point in time which they so choose.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I mostly open carry and have been for 3 years now. I've been stopped 3 times and asked to produce ID. Open carry is a bit different than concealed where a LTCF is concerned. Outside of Philly you dont need a LTCF for open carry. You do need one in a vehicle, State of Emergency.. etc.

My response to the officers that have asked me to produce ID is the same every time. Am I the suspect of a crime? Do you have reasonable suspicion that I have or am about to commit a crime? Their answer has always been no and my ID has never been shown in these cases.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
kudu58 said:
I know they can request to see your carry permit. Pretty sure they can ask for the firearm as well. For instance, carrying a handgun while archery hunting. It's legal but my understanding is that it needs to be a carry weapon. Not like a scoped t/c encore handgun with a scope. To me it's reasonable for them to check the type of handgun.
If you're just out walking, I'm not too sure what the legality of just approaching and asking for that stuff. They would need some probable cause.
There is no legal definition of a "carry weapon". Your LTCF allows you to carry a "firearm" as defined by the Crimes Code. If I'm archery hunting and carrying a handgun with a scope, I'm still covered. It's my choice as to what I want to carry. So they would have no legal basis to "check my firearm" since I am not using it to hunt. A revolver, semi-auto or scoped handgun, all are covered.

And during regular gun season, I can legally carry a semi-auto handgun (in conjunction with my LTCF), I just can't use it to hunt or put down game. Again, there would be no legal basis to check my firearm.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
triplethreat said:
I mostly open carry and have been for 3 years now. I've been stopped 3 times and asked to produce ID. Open carry is a bit different than concealed where a LTCF is concerned. Outside of Philly you dont need a LTCF for open carry. You do need one in a vehicle, State of Emergency.. etc.

My response to the officers that have asked me to produce ID is the same every time. Am I the suspect of a crime? Do you have reasonable suspicion that I have or am about to commit a crime? Their answer has always been no and my ID has never been shown in these cases.
What's the point of acting like that if a cop is just doing their job?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hunter8319- They weren't doing their job. No one called them to say I was robbing the store or acting in a suspicious way.

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Most PA/LTCF cards will give "protection" as the stated reason for having one. Therefore, any handgun can lawfully be carried concealed for that purpose.

And all should know that any firearm cannot be used for hunting while out in archery season, just as any semi cannot be used to hunt with at all.

So unless a WCO sees you pointing a handgun at a game animal, while using a handgun to take game isn't legal under the circumstances - then why would they be interested in what you're carrying?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Hunter8319 said:
triplethreat said:

Explain how they were "doing their job" if open carry is 100% legal in PA and there is case law that the mere fact that a person is carrying openly is NOT, repeat NOT grounds to stop and detain a person.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Open carry is not illegal. Just not very smart 24/7. A WCO can inquire for his own safety as well as a police officer. If asked you must clarify.

·
Registered
16,974 Posts
Steve in PA said:
Hunter8319 said:
triplethreat said:

Explain how they were "doing their job" if open carry is 100% legal in PA and there is case law that the mere fact that a person is carrying openly is NOT, repeat NOT grounds to stop and detain a person.
think about this, a person decides to "open carry" his AR the police see this person while driving down the street and decide, "open carry" is legal why bother to ask.

later on they learn this person stole the AR just a few moments before in a burglary, left the elderly homeowner and wife dead. walked down the street past the cops to the local mall and started shooting at anything that moved.

both the cops and the guy carrying the AR were "in the right" for all intentional purposes. wonder what the public would be saying then?

in my opinion, anyone that carries openly just makes themselves a target. if someone was up to no good, preparing to rob a store or whatever and saw an individual carrying a weapon openly, they would be the first target in order to eliminate a threat to the robber.

why advertise? its like placing a notice on facebook: I am going on vacation to the NRA convention, I wont be home for several days.

then you come home and find all your guns gone and wonder why.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
So you are OK if they stop your wife walking down the street for suspicion of being a prostitute?

In this country, we dont get to stop people without a reasonable cause. If I am carrying a chainsaw, can I get stopped because someone might have had a chainsaw stolen, even though there are no reports of a saw being stolen and there is no reason to think that I dont own the saw?
Open carry is no different except to people who run around scared all of their lives and want to control everyone else. That said, carrying combat shotguns into a coffee shop is a bad idea, because it makes you look like a Richard Head, and you will scare the sheep and make my life harder, not because I scared that you "might" do "something"

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quite the hypothetical situation there bohunr. Let me try one.

A person decides today is a good day to lose their mind. Steals a car and hits as many pedestrians as he can. I bet he would have a much longer list of casualties than an active shooter. He would even be more difficult to stop. But we don't pick on every single driver on the roads in pa. A bunch of people die because of vehicles every year. Let's regulate driving to save lives. Restrict tobacco and alcohol use..... Oh wait we already do that and people still use the aforementioned items every day. It's a risk we all take every single day.

How often do you see open carriers? I've personally seen 3 in my life. I've seen more people printing with concealed carry than anything. Most people don't notice it. But it's easy to spot if you know what to look for.

I do NOT recommend open carry if you don't have any training. A good level 2 holster and some situational awareness goes a long way.

You say open carry is advertising. I disagree 100%. I prefer to carry openly for comfort and to make myself a hard target. If the bad guy notices my weapon and proceeds with an attack, he's an idiot. If he doesn't notice then he will find out real quick if my life is threatened.

My personal opinion-- I think a lot of people agree with the 2a but think cops should be the only people allowed to have their weapons visible. Is that wrong? Nope. In this country we can choose to have any opinion we want. God bless

1 - 20 of 43 Posts