The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I each own handguns, we are each legally permitted to own and purchase firearms and we each have current concealed carry permits (for PA).

My question is can she concealed carry a handgun purchased by me and registered in my name? Or can she only carry a handgun that she purchased and is registered in her name?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,447 Posts
Yes, but if she gets stopped you may have to confirm that you lent it to her. LEOs are still using the purchase records as a gun ownership record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
capri_180 said:
... My question is can she concealed carry a handgun purchased by me and registered in my name? ...
Try not to use the "R" word.

As Joe said, in Pennsylvania, it's a database of firearm sales ... and hopefully we can keep it from ever becoming a "Registration" database.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
There is no registration in PA.

Yes, since she has a valid LTCF, you can "lend" her a handgun.

§ 6115. Loans on, or lending or giving firearms prohibited.
(a) OFFENSE DEFINED. — No person shall make any loan secured by mortgage, deposit or pledge of a firearm, nor, except as provided in subsection (b), shall any person lend or give a firearm to another or otherwise deliver a firearm contrary to the provisions of this subchapter.
(b) EXCEPTION. —
(1) Subsection (a) shall not apply if any of the following apply:
(i) The person who receives the firearm is licensed to carry a firearm under section 6109 (relating to licenses).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
This question is one that I have wondered about for some time. How "far out" can you lend a hand gun to a LTCF card carrier?

Hunting regulations only allow the owner to carry a handgun in hunting season, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
As long as the person has a VALID LTCF you can loan one to anyone... it does NOT have to be a family member... And as far as carrying while hunting, as long as you have a LTCF you may do so... HOWEVER... if your LTCF is a SPORTSMANS LTCF then you can only carry one that is LEGAL for the game species you are hunting for during the legal season. If you have a "Protection" LTCF then you can carry it along with a rifle for deer as example. Hope that answers your question
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
jon8777 said:
This question is one that I have wondered about for some time. How "far out" can you lend a hand gun to a LTCF card carrier?

Hunting regulations only allow the owner to carry a handgun in hunting season, correct?
There is no time limit on how long you can lend or borrow a handgun. Could be a day, week, year, years, etc.

As already stated, if you have a LTCF then you can carry any handgun. You can only use that handgun to take or put down game, if it is is legal to be used for taking game.

The Sportsman's Permit only allows you to carry a handgun that would be legal for taking game, so no semi-autos allowed while hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
schr8er2000 said:
If you have a "Protection" LTCF then you can carry it along with a rifle for deer as example. Hope that answers your question
So its legal to carry a semi pistol/wheel gun concealed carried for protection and also carry a deer rifle, turkey shotgun or rife fire for small game at the same time?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
jon8777 said:
schr8er2000 said:
If you have a "Protection" LTCF then you can carry it along with a rifle for deer as example. Hope that answers your question
So its legal to carry a semi pistol/wheel gun concealed carried for protection and also carry a deer rifle, turkey shotgun or rife fire for small game at the same time?
First, there is no such thing as a "protection" LTCF. There is only a LTCF. They, meaning the issuing authority may mark it as "protection" but the LTCF is good for any and all reasons that might be on the application.

Actually, they need to get rid of the reason because no reason is needed in order to apply or have a LTCF. But since they have a reason marked on the application, something has to be checked.

Second,....if you have a LTCF you can carry a handgun while you are deer, bear, turkey, archery hunting, etc. I'm not going to get into the whole SBR or SBS thing, because for 99.9% of us, we would be carrying a handgun.

Since a semi-auto handgun is never allowed to be used for hunting game, if you carry one you could never use it to take or put down game. However, if you are carrying a revolver and a revolver/caliber is designated as a legal firearm for use in the game you are hunting, then you can use it to take or put down game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
I never intend to hunt with a semi pistol in PA. Want to be 100% sure its legal to carry a semi pistol with the state issued LTCF permit and not get the PAGC up in a bind for having it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,136 Posts
Steve in PA said:
Second,....if you have a LTCF you can carry a handgun while you are deer, bear, turkey, archery hunting, etc.
I believe you cannot carry ANY solid form of ammo during Spring gobbler and Rat shot doesn't cycle too well in semi autos.

I know you can't carry during flintlock.

The rest of the time hunting you can carry w/ the LTCF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
i'm gonna need some verification on the carrying during muzzleloader season. i just looked thru the book and didn't see anything that prohibits it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
As long as you have carry permit you can carry a handgun in any season with any ammo you want. You obviously wouldn't be allowed to take game with it, but you can have it on you for protection.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
26,979 Posts
I don't know where all these different ideas come from but if you have a LTCF you may carry a handgun of any configuration while hunting in any season along with your legal hunting arm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
wis bang said:
Steve in PA said:
Second,....if you have a LTCF you can carry a handgun while you are deer, bear, turkey, archery hunting, etc.
I believe you cannot carry ANY solid form of ammo during Spring gobbler and Rat shot doesn't cycle too well in semi autos.

I know you can't carry during flintlock.

The rest of the time hunting you can carry w/ the LTCF
1) Wrong. You can carry whatever kind of ammo you want.

2) Wrong. I have been carrying my S&W 642 in my right front pocket the entire flintlock season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
Thats what i thought. Thanks. I thought maybe i missed something for muzzleloader season.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,245 Posts
[/quote]
First, there is no such thing as a "protection" LTCF. There is only a LTCF. They, meaning the issuing authority may mark it as "protection" but the LTCF is good for any and all reasons that might be on the application.

Actually, they need to get rid of the reason because no reason is needed in order to apply or have a LTCF. But since they have a reason marked on the application, something has to be checked.
[/quote]



I'm going to be applying here shortly. I noticed that question on the application and wasn't quite sure what to check since my handgun would be for just about every one of those reason. Does 1 only check one option on the applicaiton or should I check all that apply? The application itself doesn't specify.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,395 Posts
Check the box marked self-defense or protection, I forget which is on there. It doesn't matter what is checked, the LTCF is good for any and all reasons.

If you check something else, they will only change it to self-defense or protection any way, so just pick that one when filling out the form.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top