The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can we NOT carry a concealed weapon in PA? They issue dang near anyone a carry permit but don't give you anything indicating where you can't carry. I hear you can't carry in Philly, State Parks and schools but where do I find that information?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Federal buildings for sure such as post office, military installations, federal court buildings

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Places Off-Limits While Carrying in PA:

- ANY Court facility Ref: 18Pa.C.S. §913

- ANY Federal facilities (unless authorized)

- State Parks (LTCF holders are exempt for conceal carry)

- Detention Facilities (adult & Juvenile)

- Airport Terminals (secure areas only)

- Philadelphia public streets unless you hold a valid LTCF or reciprocal license (Applies to OC and CC)

- Primary and secondary schools. However, the statute allows
for “a defense that the weapon is possessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful
purpose.” Ref: 18Pa.C.S. §912. (see back panel for full statute)

<span style="color: #FF0000">Carrying a firearm in establishments that sell or
serve alcohol is allowed in Pennsylvania.</span>

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
unless im in a federal building or in a prison im going to carry. What it comes down to is if you ever have to use a weapon your going to court no matter what. Then its up to 12 people so make sure its justified. At least ill still be alive to pay my fine for carrying where I shouldnt.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
varmintblaster said:
keystoneMAN 85 said:
Carrying a firearm in establishments that sell or serve alcohol is allowed in Pennsylvania.
Are you legal if you have a drink?
Sure nothing on the books about drinking and carrying, but you could expect more trouble with a civil lawsuit. Then again expect that regardless.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I was just curious, I've heard different versions about the legality of drinking while carrying.

I would not carry in a bar period. Alcohol and firearms don't mix.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
varmintblaster said:
I would not carry in a bar period. Alcohol and firearms don't mix.
Well the folks that told ya it was illegal were WRONG. It's up to the individual to choose if they think carrying while drinking is a responsible move on their part.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Thanks for your answer.

I looked at the link that BigBen provided for Pa. and it did not state anything that was clear to drinking establishments.

Can you provide a link to the section of Pa. law that pertains to this?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
No problem. Glad to help. Check out the flyer I posted. I'll try and dig through the laws to see if I can find something more concrete then what is in that flyer. There may be nothing in the Pa law which hence makes it OK. Let me dig ...

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I found it after searching some more. Its right beside the law about being able to wear a blue shirt on Wednesday. No, seriously I did some more digging and its not there because its legal and they don't list those sorts of things!

·
Registered
25,786 Posts
Legal, but you may open yourself to possible problems should a reason arise to defend yourself after/while you have been drinking. Primarily from a civil action, afterwards.

What lawyer in a civil suit arising from your use of a weapon, could help himself or herself, for bringing up your "dimished capacity" for exercising good judgement, afer having had a few beers prior to shooting his client?

Or more likely, in any civil action brought on behalf of his survivors?

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
DennyF said:
Legal, but you may open yourself to possible problems should a reason arise to defend yourself after/while you have been drinking. Primarily from a civil action, afterwards.

What lawyer in a civil suit arising from your use of a weapon, could help himself or herself, for bringing up your "dimished capacity" for exercising good judgement, afer having had a few beers prior to shooting his client?

Or more likely, in any civil action brought on behalf of his survivors?
+2 like I said in my earlier post, you open yourself to civil suites, but that civil suite will come no matter what IMO.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
You can carry in a bar,but then if noticed it's up to bartender if they want to continue seving you.
BUT if the bar has a sign posted on the entrance way "NO OFFENSIVE or DEFENSIVE weapons it's a no go for all,even a pocket knife.
Bartender can refuse service to anyone for whatever reason they want too.
Say what you want but they only reason they have to say is that they thought you were visibly impaired in any way, and they are covered no matter what your protest is.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes bartenders can refuse to serve you for any reason they choose. In most clubs, this also applies to managers and board members. I carry in bars on a daily basis in Pa. I can tell you this, I am less worried about the person sitting next to me in a bar drinking and carrying a concealed weapon, than I am with the 30 other people knocking back 4 or 5 drinks and getting into a 3000 pound speeding bullet to drive home in. Your chances of getting shot while having a beer (as long as you are not gang related) in the local bar, is nothing compared to your chances of getting hit by some bozo who had to much to drink.
My 2cents

1 - 20 of 83 Posts