The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Concealed Carry Permit

13K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  Art Salmons 
#1 ·
I've had a CCP for at least 10 years, first on was from Butler County (took about a week to get), 2nd from Mercer County (took about 3-4 days to get), and this on from Venango County. My latest one from Mercer expired in May and I now live in Venango County so I went down to apply for a new one yesterday, I figured I'd drop of the application and wait for them to let me know it was approved, well the woman workng asked if I had a minute, sure but why? She said I'll have it for you in a minute if you want to wait, I couldn't believe it. It literally took me less time to get my permit than it did for me to get lunch that day at Sheetze. Kudos to Sheriff Gene Price.

#3 ·
yeah allegheny county used to be that way.. when i got my first one i was in an out before the meter ran out.. cost me all most for the parking meter as the premit did... now they make you wait a month for the same thing that tock them 5 mins before.. the new guy isent geting my vote .. sence he tock office havent seen any thing good happen just worse things

#4 ·
I know our sheriff personally, and it still took three weeks for mine to be issued. They are supposed to call the references you list, and do a criminal background check. How could they do all of that in just a few minutes?

#7 ·
There does not appear to be any standard for how long it takes. I got my LTCF last November from Beaver county. It took 20 minutes and $25 dollars and I had it. Several of my cousins got theirs from Allegheny county and it took 4 to 6 weeks.
Every county is different.

#8 ·
Our county sheriff treats every application like a new one, regardless of how many consecutive licenses you have had there and it will take at least two weeks. He is retiring after this term, so we'll see what his successor comes up with.

In addition to the required background checks, they also check with the county tax office to verify your residency.

#10 ·
Agreed. There should be the same standards and processes in place, for each county.

Perhaps two or three years ago, there was some action in the legislature to force all sheriffs to use exactly the same process. IIRC, it went nowhere?

If that ever happens, I'm betting that it will force those sheriffs who use an expedited system, to go to the longer process.

#11 ·
I could be wrong about this, but I believe state law gives the sheriff 45 days to do the background check before issuing the license. I know in Luzerne county it used to be a 20min. process, but the new sheriff publically stated he would have the office use as many days as needed to run complete background checks. Pretty much takes 3-4 weeks to get one now according to people I've talked to.

#12 ·
Usually takes about 2 weeks for my new LTC, even when they find some "mysterious discrepancy" with the county tax office, which happened the last two times I applied for the new one. No reason why they can't process one in two weeks, the instant check is actually instant. All that remains are references and residency.

Mentioned the previous tax office haggle to the clerk when I applied for this last one, so she called me instead of sending a letter like they did the time before. Went down to the tax office and set 'em straight, resolved that problem.

I ain't never moving again if I can help it, so don't expect any problems with the next one. Been living in the same township and same PO since 1974, but the tax office claimed they didn't know where I lived, twice, although my actual address was on my Driver's License both times. The first time, I hadn't sold my "old" house yet and they still had me listed there, although I'd moved and Driver's License had the new address. Second time, the twp. hadn't sent their new tax rolls into the county yet.

#16 ·
mauser95 said:
I could be wrong about this, but I believe state law gives the sheriff 45 days to do the background check before issuing the license. I know in Luzerne county it used to be a 20min. process, but the new sheriff publically stated he would have the office use as many days as needed to run complete background checks. Pretty much takes 3-4 weeks to get one now according to people I've talked to.
I grew up in Luzerne county and my parents lived their all their lives. Luzerne county has it's own way of doing alot of things. Are you old enough to remember Dan Flood.

#20 ·
15 min here in Berks. They even do one designated day per month in remote locations so you don't even have to go into Reading to the courthouse (which is fine by me). I went in with the form done and cash in my wallet for the fee. Handed over both, the deputy checked my license, told me to have a seat.

10 min later, they called me back, took my picture, and handed me my permit and said "see you back here again in 5 years" (when it expires). Couldn't have been easier to do.

Used to be you had to go into the courthouse and pick up the app in person. Fill it out, mail it back, then get called to go in and have your picture taken, then go back again to pick it up. What a pain in the patootey that was.

#21 ·
I've never had an issue with a time frame up here. Last renewal- pulled all info up on computer, took pic, couple ?'s about my referances(L.E.O.'S)...waited for something on the computer to come up and I was out of there.
Got my first permit in '92(21) they called me 1 day latter and said I will be recieving it in the mail and that if I didn't recieve it within 2 days to call them.

#22 ·
RenegadePhoenix said:
For the Record, its not a CCP, it is a LTCF (License to Carry Firearms). most counties went to the automated system a few years ago. my wife was a first timer and got hers in less than 20 min. from Westmoreland co.
Yes!! It's called LTCF I received my 1st one in Fayette county in 20 days. The court house call my references. I have received my 3 renewals in under 5 min. $25.00 fee.

Ron

#24 ·
tdd said:
15 min here in Berks. They even do one designated day per month in remote locations so you don't even have to go into Reading to the courthouse (which is fine by me). I went in with the form done and cash in my wallet for the fee. Handed over both, the deputy checked my license, told me to have a seat.

10 min later, they called me back, took my picture, and handed me my permit and said "see you back here again in 5 years" (when it expires). Couldn't have been easier to do.

Used to be you had to go into the courthouse and pick up the app in person. Fill it out, mail it back, then get called to go in and have your picture taken, then go back again to pick it up. What a pain in the patootey that was.
Yep, last time I renewed it was still the old process. Sounds like the new system will be much more convenient.

Only complaint I have is that they used to mail an application a month or so ahead of your expiration date. I read in the paper a few months ago that they will no longer do that or notify you when your license is about to expire?

I understand it is the responsibility of the individual LTC holder to insure his license is up to date, but I foresee a bunch of folks walking around with expired permits if the courthouse stops notifications.

#25 ·
Just got mine in Beaver County again yesterday. Took 10 minutes as they make you refill out the application each time for some reason. But they call the same instant check number the gun shops do when buying a gun. That makes more sense than bothering to call your friends you listed for a character check.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.