The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Yep, I shoot my XDs better than my G23, too. I have "moments of brilliance" with the G23, but I don't shoot it enough to be shoot like that consistently. The XDs is more natural for me.

My G23 is a Gen3, so I'm wondering if the dual spring'ed XDs is what makes the difference? I should try a Gen4 Glock at some point and see if that's a factor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
tdd mine is a Gen4 and i shoot it the same as the Gen3 i had. My neighbor also shot it better than his G23 that works/trains with. I wanted to get 4" XDs but i can't see it being any better. I also did the prp spring kit and really like that.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
That's good info...thank you.

Been thinking about a full size glock in 10mm for an owb carry when I'm working on my hunting property and such. Maybe I'll think more about a full size XD in 45acp instead...

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I have two 9mm pistols. I'm certainly no authority on the subject, but I have learned a few things...

Short barreled pistols like the Glock 43 and my Springfield Hellcat, and similar pistols (3 inch barrels) give you quite a bit of snap (muzzle rise) and for that reason, they can be as little intimidating to shoot. But, they're small and concealable. I'd stick with a double stack magazine 9mm to get as much magazine capacity as you can. The Hellcat comes with 11 and 13 round magazines. If you're ever in a situation where you have to actually use your weapon (and I pray you don't) and if there are multiple attackers, you'll appreciate the extra rounds.

I actually like my Hellcat with the exception of the sights. My farsightedness blurs my sight picture. I ended up buying a second pistol, a Smith and Wesson M&P9 2.0 Performance Center, C.O.R.E. (optics ready) model with a 4.25" barrel and put a Holoson red dot on it. It's tamer to shoot and even my wife will shoot it. The 2.0 version has a nice trigger and three sets of interchangeable grips. I really like it. Also, it is a double stack 17 round magazine, which is a huge plus. But, not as concealable as my Hellcat.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Carried an M&P Shield for awhile and really just didn't like it. Went to a Kimber Micro 9 and really liked it and shot it well. A couple years ago I decided I wanted more power, so I moved up to a Kimber Ultra Carry from the custom shop in 45 ACP. Love it! I shoot it extremely well and it carries well, I am happy with it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts