The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
My dad is looking to get a new concealed carry gun and I will be in the market pretty soon. He has narrowed his search to 4 different ones and he wanted to get a second opinion from people that actually own these guns instead of from a couple of the gun shops that will tell you anything just to make a deal. The 4 are: Glock 43, Springfield XDS, Walther pps m2, and Ruger lc9s (all in 9mm). If you have any of them I would like to hear what you think in terms of reliability, accuracy, and just overall quality. Thanks for any input in advance.

·
Banned
851 Posts
The LC9 is a good gun, especially the newer LC9s. They are striker fired and the trigger is much smoother than the standard LC9. My brother carries the LC9s. Large varieties of holsters as available for his model as well.

I personally carry the LCR in .357 mag. I have always liked wheel guns and the hogue grip that comes on it is pretty comfy. Small, light weight and packs a huge punch with the .357 mag. If I need more than 5 shots of .357 to stop the threat, then a sub compact isn't probably the right gun to have any way.

When I was looking at micro 9mm's to carry, I was looking at either the LC9s or the Sig 938. I like the Sig because it's basically a micro version of the 1911. Has a hammer, which I kind of like on an auto, some don't. It definitely isn't as light as the LC9s or as cheap! Lol

Something to consider is ammo choice for a micro 9. Small barrels lose velocity quick. Ammo designed for larger guns perform very poorly. I would recommend watching ammo test on YouTube by either shootingthebull410 or tnoutdoors9 they do a good job. In a micro 9 I would recommend either Federal HST or Hornady Critical defense.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks waterfowler, personally I don't like the idea of having a hammer on one. I like the looks just not sure if I would really like it or not. I think the sig is gonna be a little out of the budget too. Is the lc9s pretty accurate compared to the .357 that you mentioned?

·
Banned
851 Posts
It depends on what you consider accurate. If you are talking about being able to put rounds consistently into center mass repeatedly from 5-7 yards, what most CC guns are shot at then yes both guns are plenty accurate. Micro guns are definitely not "range or plinking" guns. You are probably not going to be able to hit soda cans consistently at 25 yards with either or any gun in that size category. Guns that small are hard to shoot. The sight radius is very small so small inconsistencies in trigger pull show up. I might give a slight edge in accuracy to the LCR.

Something else that I would like to mention is that the LC9 the s model at least has a manual thumb safety. If you choose to carry with the safety on, which would be the safe thing to do, you would have to remember to take it off if you would need to use it in a defense situation. The lc9 has a lighter single action pull this the need for a safety.

My LCR being a double action only revolver has the long double action pull. There is no mechanical safety on it. So I don't have to worry about taking something off before I shoot. Even though it is long the LCR has a very nice and crisp break on it.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I'm not to worried about shooting 25 yards. basically close range. I shot my cousins s&w and at about 8 yards it was not what i was looking for accuracy wise. maybe it just wasnt the right gun for me. I didn't realize the lc9 had a thumb safety. Being left handed thats another thing I'm trying to stay away from. My dad is really leaning toward the lc9s because he likes the feel of it the best and its hard to beat the price.

·
Banned
851 Posts
I'm not saying you are wrong, but like I said before the small ones are hard to shoot. So it could have been you just not being exact.

Yea, I could understand wanting to stay away from the lc9 because of the safety. I do know the Sig 938 has the ambi safety on it. That's one thing that most people didn't like but would be good for you. I hear you on the price of the lc9. Gander mountain has them on sale now for $379.99 I believe.

Maybe you would be better off with the LCR. Ik you didn't mention it in the ones you are interested in. Revolvers are very user friendly and always reliable. You would only have the button to swing out the cylinder to worry about then. If you would get the .357 model you could practice with .38 specials and carry either .357 mags or if they are too much for you .38 +p's.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've shot a xds and it shot nice. I havent really thought about getting a lcr but I also haven't held one that would be a good carry gun. I hunt with a super blackhawk so I am pretty familiar with shooting them even though I'm sure a smaller one is pretty different to shoot. I am going to look at them the next time i go to a gun shop. Thanks

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the pps first model and love it, the trigger is a little on the heavy side but you get used to it, I have not shot the M2 yet. I would also say take a look at the shield it's a nice shooter with a better trigger than the pps.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Im a glock fan. I carry a 26 or a 23 depending on my mood. I shot the 43 a few times and I sure like it for a ideal summer carry smoker. You can to tons with the trigger. I put ZEV spring kits and a titanium firing pin safeties in all of mine. My trigger is right around 2.5 to 3 lbs. Im not a fan of the LC9 cause of one I saw stove piped every third round with carry and training ammo. I see your not a fan of the S&W, but the SHIELD series is also another great carry pistol. I would let your dad handle a few and see what fits him the best, after all its going to be his EDC and he has to be proficient with it. Good Luck, hope you all find what's perfect for him.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The LC9S and LCRX (revolver w/ trigger) both have great smooth triggers and are light & easy to carry & shoot. I shoot both right and left-handed without any problems with either gun.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
I carry an XDs 3.3 in 9mm. I thought of trading it toward a 45ACP, simply because I have a 1911 and it would simplify things, but no one bit on my classified ad for that, and I'm not at all upset. I like it a lot.

I'm not a great pistol shooter. I'll lead with that. 6" at 15 yards is about what I'm going to do with an automatic, of any size, and the XDs does it quite nicely for me. I should shoot it more than I do and I'm sure I'd tighten that up. That accounts for all shots, by the way. The "beaten zone" where MOST of my shots land is about 3" at 15 yards, usually.

A better pistol shooter would get more from the gun, I'm certain.

I am very pleased with my XDs. It carries nicely and shoots well.

I carry it with a 7rd mag (+1) in the gun, then throw a 9rd mag in my pocket. Makes for light and comfortable carry with 17 rounds of 9mm available. I could carry my 2nd 7rd mag if I wanted and have 24 rounds available, but I'd rather not carry two "loose" mags.

In the winter, I'll sometimes carry my G23. I just don't have as comfortable an experience with the G23 because it's a double-stack. That's really more of a difference for me than the grip length or barrel length.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Good choices! I had a shield but never got used to the trigger so i traded it for a xds that i love and shoot very well. The guy i traded with is happy with the shield so it's up to what feels good to you. I hear alot of good things about the LC9s.

I shoot the XDs better than my G19.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts