The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from the Sierra bullet site

Why Can't I Find Sierra Bullets?

As most Sierra customers have noticed, finding Sierra Bullets on shelves has become a little more difficult in the last 4-6 months. There are a lot of varying stories floating around as to the cause of this including:

· Sierra is slowing production to drive up prices.

· Sierra has too much military / law enforcement business and is focusing on fulfilling it instead of making bullets for the individual reloaders.

· The government is passing laws that effect how many bullets can be made and/or slowing raw materials to the shooting industry which we need to make bullets.

The real reason is demand. Sierra has been making more bullets per week recently than we have in our rich 62 year history, but we simply can not get ahead of the demand. After the 2008 elections, orders began increasing overnight and have only continued to increase thus far.

The bullets we sell to distributors that ultimately get sold to the individual reloaders (business we affectionately call our “Green Box” - business for obvious reasons) come off the same presses and out of the same lots as bullets we make for the military and law enforcement. While Sierra does prioritize the military orders to make sure our service men & women get what they need, the demand from the military is factored into our yearly planning and normally does not affect our green box production capacity.

For 2009 our military and law enforcement business, is only slightly higher than what we had predicted, and is not causing these shortages. The shortages are being caused by the huge increase in demand from the individual reloaders themselves and also by the OEM ammunition reloaders who are reacting to the same increase in demand.

We are seeing a lot of customers who decide (for whatever reason) that they need to have a few extra bullets tucked away for a rainy day. When they start looking for their favorite Sierra Bullets and do not find them, they grow concerned and look harder. Once they do find them in stock, they choose to buy double what they had planned, since they were so hard to find. This just compounds the problem for the next person trying to find those same bullets.

Rest assured – Sierra is working as hard as they can to increase capacity (without sacrificing our world renowned quality) and we are making more bullets now than ever. This demand will not last forever and you should see the bullets you have come to count on back on the shelves as we start making headway into our backlog.

We are very sorry for the shortages you are experiencing, but rest assured, we are working hard to correct them so you will again be able to find those familiar green plastic boxes on your dealer's shelves again.

Thank You,
The Sierra Bullets Team

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
In my experiences, bullets were never a problem. I frequent 4 small gunshops, all of them had everything in bullets.

Cabelas always did too...

The problem I saw was primers...

Powder was tough to find, but not really. One shop was out, the next had it. And vice versa the next visit.

Primers was/are the tough part. I myself never had much of a problem with finding primers, guy who I buy them from would limit 500 per customer, and he purchesed 50,000 of the brand I use back in April I believe. He also had every other primer known to man. His idea was to limit customers so he can satify all of his customers instead of ones with fat wallets or greedy hands...

He knew he would sell them one way or the other.

But I never seen or heard of a bullet shortage yet.

My one buddy uses sierra's primarily, I am a Nosler guy. But he never ran into one problem, from 22 caliber all the way through his .30's and everything in between. From Blitzkings to gamekings, he used them all in all kinds of calibers and he always found them.

I noticed guys would try and hoard the primers and powder first, due to the exact reasoning you mentioned... avalability.

Just my experiences though, in the shops I frequent often.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The post was not intended to isolate only a bullet shortage but a COMPONENT shortage its just that SIerra is the only COMPONENT manufacturer that addressed the shortage

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Actually, in the spring, Hornady had a 3-month backlog on some products. They ramped up production to 24/7 and have now expanded their production facilities. You can see the shelves filling with new product.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
ATK (Federal), has also issued press releases on shortages of both ammo and components. Some of the theories and opinions put forth here, are the reason these companies have been issuing such releases.

Some will take them at face value, others will continue to sort through the demons for alternative reasons.

My personal opinion, based on what I've seen, read and heard, is that hoarding is the single most relevant reason for these shortages.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Have to agree with you on this one. Definite a hoarding issue. Suppose that is the reason for the Obama, Salesman of the year, poster at Grice`s Gun Shop!! Hopefully by Summer I can get some stuff to try reloading again???

·
Registered
317 Posts
i was suprized my gander mountain had small rifle primers a few weeks ago. i have a enough of those, but i would like to get another brick of small pistol because i use those mostly. im not short yet but by springtime ill be out looking harder for them again. i dont hoard either, i just try to have on hand what i will need for reloading over the winter. i think people that hoarded in the beginning (the ones that will acctually use the stuff and not try to sell it at profit) will be glad they did because prices will go up over the years anyway.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
There's been a shortage of various components, all year.

Demand exceeding supply. I spent a lot of time over the last six months -eye reading rehab - looking at internet reloading supplies. (no use in using stuff I have no interest in)

Of course, there are no shortages in fantasy reloading sites.

It's been about two years since I saw .35 Remington unprimed cartridges, and that's no fantasy.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Seldom buy new brass for cartridges that don't get "used much", like the 35 Rem. Instead, bought a few boxes of 200gr Core Lokts some years ago and that'll be enough brass to reload, until I'm around 99, 110 or so?

60 pieces of 35 Rem brass is plenty, for a deer rifle that I might fire a half dozen times per year, if that?

I've bought new brass for cartridges that I fire often, like the 22-250 and 25-06. Don't even buy new 223 brass, since I have a huge pile of Lake City GI brass.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
"Seldom buy new brass for cartridges that don't get "used much", like the 35 Rem. Instead, bought a few boxes of 200gr Core Lokts some years ago and that'll be enough brass to reload, until I'm around 99, 110 or so?"

That's just around the corner then. Now I know what to get you fer Christmas next year!

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
I could use an all terrain walker w/extra ammo pouches on it.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Consider it done. I got me some flo. orange and some camo duct tape, so I can put a custom paint job on it. Maybe a hand crank winch on the front, right under the crossed bandoleers.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Lookin' forward to you sitting beside me again, at this year's BOC meeting in January. Let me know if you need any primers. I'll bring a few thousand along to show you, so you don't forget what they look like.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Nah, I did the 'ol hording thing with the primer scare back in the 90's. I still have at least 1000 or 2 of every size. I did notice a shortage / out of stock issue with bullets back in late summer / early fall at Cabela's Hamburg store and a wholesale outfit in CT. Loaded ammo was also that way.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Just got my January MidwayUSA flyer today and 'bout keeled over when I checked the prices on R-P brass! 25-06 brass is now $51.99 per hundred. Back when I first started buying that brass from Midway, think it was $19.95?

Lucky fer me, bought several hundred pieces years ago, got another 50 new ones last summer, from a buddy that found it at an estate sale for $20.

·
Banned
10,004 Posts
Thank goodness I am also a pack rat, Denny. I probably have enough components to reload for the rest of my life. That could all change if I decide that target shooting is a lot more fun than it used to be and I dive into it head first.

At our local range, I am the equivalent of a dumpster diver when it comes to brass. It is unbelievable what people just throw away. In October, I picked out over fifty .30-06 cases from the trash barrel.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Back when I was range director and closely monitored our club ranges, used to wind up with lots of once-fired 30-06 and 30-30 brass. Most of the '06 brass I kept, gave away the 30-30 stuff.

I reload about a dozen different cartridges and don't really need more brass for any of them. Some cartridges I have over 200 pieces of good brass for, far more than that in 223.

Just picked up another 150 to 200 pieces of once-fired Federal 223 brass this summer, compliments of the local police force's training at our ranges and that was just my half of the booty. Another member got the rest.

When I spent more time shooting woodchucks, went thru far more powder/primers/bullets than I have over the past few years, but am fairly well stocked yet for varmint stuff.

Recently discovered three boxes of .257 100gr Btips I forgot were in the cupboard, there in the mess of bullets. And that didn't count the box I was loading from.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I've been called a "brass rat" many times. My cousin and I have a competition to see who can find the most brass at the range we shoot at. I always leave a few odd calibers laying at the range just so I can laugh when he tells me about the piece of "270 super ackley improved short action ultra mag" he found. It gets so bad sometimes that I "have" to buy a gun to go with all of the brass I scrounged for a caliber that I don't own.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts