The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember how last year I shot a doe with my .30-06 with handloads consisting of 168 gr TTSX's over 49 grains of IMR 4064. I posted about how I was disappointed in the extreme amount of damage that was done even though I didn't hit any major bone structure, just ribs. To sum it up, the whole front half of the doe was bloodshot and mostly un-usuable. She also ran over 100 yards and the lungs only had a small hole punched through them.

Being that it was the first deer I'd shot with that load (which was designed for elk), I didn't want to base my entire opinion of them as a whitetail round on 1 experience. So I used the same load again this year and had completely different and surprising results.

Opening morning I shot a buck at about 70 yards, quartering away. I hit him a few inches behind the close shoulder and it exited through the opposite shoulder. First, the buck only ran 50 yards at the most. Second, the lungs were destroyed. Lastly, when I skinned the buck I was utterly amazed at the LACK of destruction. Butchering the deer myself, I found that even though the bullet exited through the shoulder, there was still plenty of usuable meat after cleaning up around the actual exit wound. Bloodshot meat was limited to just around the impact and exit areas.

At 1100 a herd of 7 does came past my stand & I picked out a mature one and shot her just behind the shoulders while standing broadside to me about about 70 yards. She only made it about 30 yards or so before piling up. Like last years doe, I hit no major bone structure but this year the lungs were destroyed just like the bucks'. Upon skinning and butchering I found that damage was very minimal on her as well.

These rounds were loaded exactly the same as the ones from last year, but the results were about 180 degrees from last year on similar sized animals. The only difference was that last years shot was a little longer but I don't know that a distance of 70 yards (when shooting less than 200 yards) with a .30-06 would make that kind of a difference.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
638 Posts
thats y u never base an opinion on a few samples.

·
Registered
35 Posts
TTSX bullets are made for rapid expansion and as a result you will often see some fragmentation despite what might be advertised about their weight retention. The idea of ballistic tip bullets is to deliver the maximum amount of energy to the animal. Ideally the bullet will basically fall out the other side. Any energy left to fly after exit is energy that was not inflicted on the animal. I assumed you would know all this since you chose them as your load. Typical due diligence would have yielded this information. Hitting bone with a ballistic tip is going to inflict significant damage, but the tradeoff is the animal generally isnt going anywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts