The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tough to compete with a warm meal, i mean fresh rabbit or some smelly bait and lure in the dirt is an easy choice. Judging from the tracks in the snow it was a short chase, started about 10 yards from a pipe dream set, ended quickly, then it was carried out in the field a short ways, that bit of fur is all that was left. Not much for the CSI to go by except tracks.

Brown Plant Snow Organism Freezing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was a coyote track near as I could tell. I got several spots with tracks and sets, they won't work my sets. Obviously they aren't starving here but It would seem I'd get at least one to play. Gonna switch up to some fish other stuff. Single digits the next 2 nights here.

Registered
Tough to compete with a warm meal, i mean fresh rabbit or some smelly bait and lure in the dirt is an easy choice...
I've had fisher refusals, weasel refusals, and marten refusals (not in PA) using food-based baits. Could see in the snow where they'd come if for a closer look but not commit to the set. I always carry a ziplock bag in my pack and if I come across mustelid scat I take it, write the location on the bag, and freeze it. When I got refusals I smear scat from another range just behind the trap. Worked most of the time. They can't resist getting their nose right on it to see whose been trespassing. Don't know if it would work with canines, but it might. I knew a bear hunter in NY who used to collect bear scat and use it like bait below his stand. (Hunting bear over bait is not permitted but scat is not considered bait and bears are attracted the scat of other bears.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks soup!! I spiked a bottle of Dunlaps hostile gland lure with a set of fresh mink glands, it was free in an order I sent last year but didn't have much of an odor, it does now!! I also have a ground up container of dog treats I been sprinkling to break their stride a little so they will spend more time near my sets, another tip from a member here. I am on location

As far as the scat, I think I recall hearing that does work with wolves, not sure about coyotes.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Clint Locklear sells something similar, not sure what is in it though. I have an old ground parmesan cheese container I filled with it, sprinkle it across the trail but stop short of your trap, the idea is the dog finds it and scheeffs it up leading him to your set so he can find the main course.

I have heard you can use blood or any sort of trailing scent to do it too.

Reactions: Longbeard12

Registered
As trappers we are competing with real prey every day. I'd rather be competing against a rabbit or two than the eagle that has been patrolling my mink line. :oops:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That rabbit fur is now buried in a hay set down the line. I figure they have all seen enough of my sets they ignore me now. I have 3 locations where skunks have been caught with no sign of anything bothering the remakes, the snow is showing they been thru here so I keep trying.

Reactions: Longbeard12

Registered
Just urine sets shine when the bait sets fail this time of year. Don't care if you pee on it. The desire to mark is strong. I caught a coyote on my own pee. And have a witness. He may chime in.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have heard it said bobcat urine is good for k9s, would house cat litter box cleaning work? My oldest boy needs something to do this morning and that litter box needs cleaned so.....

Registered
Just urine sets shine when the bait sets fail this time of year. Don't care if you pee on it. The desire to mark is strong. I caught a coyote on my own pee. And have a witness. He may chime in.
Did he witness you pee or witness the catch?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took the expert with me today....

This is the spot the rabbit was caught, the pipe dream set is behind us.
Footwear Sky Plant Snow Cloud

1 - 20 of 56 Posts