The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get into a local 22 offhand shooting league.
A friend has 2- 22's that he is willing to part with and the prices are right. Did some internet research and he is about 1/2 of most asking prices.

Both are old CMP guns: Remington 513T and a H&R M12.
Internet research says both guns are good and capable.
Any recommendations from you HPA folks.

Thanks Pat

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Both guns are great starter guns but as you get into it, you are going to want something with an adjustable trigger. I don't know much on the [email protected] But I had several 513Ts and 521s. Both shoot very well but the triggers were horrible for my liking. I shoot alot of the club shoots in Juniata and lewistown and the common guns there are Anschutz, they are expensive but shoot very well. If your not useing optics then I wouild go with the 513T or 521.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
You may be happy with either of those guns to start with, but as you progress, you will likely want something better............we shoot an indoor offhand league in the winter, with a 9 pound weight limit...........people use a variety of guns, new and old.................Anschutz, Custom Winchester 52's, Custom 10/22, Savage MK II, CZ's, Rem 541 etc..............

I personally shoot a custom Winchester 52D,Anschutz 1451, and a custom 10/22 occasionally, and my Brother shoots a custom Anschutz 54.................however, there are guys in the league that are using the new savage MK II with the thumbhole stocks, and a varmint contour barrel, and they shoot very well............I would say that they are plenty accurate enough for shooting a lightweight offhand league..........guys that shoot them win the match sometimes.............the guys that shoot the CZ's are also very happy with them too.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.
All of the guns are nice.
B/c its a friend deal I have them with me and I am going to test drive them.
I also am going to meet with a few of the guys who shoot in this local league and feel the process out.
I coach our HS rifle team.
Easy to tell the kids what to do, time to step up to the plate myself.
We shoot Anschutz with the school.
To rich for my blood.
We guaged the triggers.
H&R right around a lb
1 513 @ 1 lb 14 oz
1 513 well over 4 lbs.
Must be some adjustablility in there
Need to do more research and of course put some bullets downrange.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
for info on those old 22's it would be worth taking a look over at rimfire central, there are sections dedicated to them there.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
A lot of guys I shoot with use the old remingtons. I use a 10-22T and a remington 504 HB. Both of their triggers are in ounces. In my opinion that is the most important aspect of an offhand target rifle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts