The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just boat a pontoon boat in DE. Want to mount a compass, surface mount, is it difficult? Any special issues/problems?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes, you need to be cognasant of not mounting it net to electronic equipment or metal that will interfere with the compass. If you want the compass to be accurate it should be adjusted for declination etc. if you are going to use it for navigation.

·
Registered
9,695 Posts
If you buy it new, it should come with instructions showing the cautions John mentioned, plus how to adjust for the proper declination.

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
Declination is only a factor when using the compass in conjunction with a map.... if he just wants to use a compass without a map there is no declination factor involved.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is a factor if you are navigating with a chart. I suspect a pontoon boat will not be doing much long range traveling bt may as well do it right.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Not planning on long distance nav as mentioned. Looks like I should give it a go.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Ralph46 said:
Thanks guys. Not planning on long distance nav as mentioned. Looks like I should give it a go.
Always be prepared for the worse.

I just had a compass fail. I always check it against the GPS and personal observations. Mine just went. It is about 90 to 120 degrees off. Of course that is not a problem until I need it. It will be replaced ASAP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts