The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traditions™ PA Pellet™ Accelerator .50 Cal. Black Powder Flintlock Rifle VS Thompson Firestorm

Which one is better ? OR Pros vs Cons of both if similar or close ...

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have one of each. They both shoot well with the right load. I use regular FF black powder. I feel the T/C is a much better muzzleloader. Better lock. Just better all around.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I bought a new pa pellet in June, Nothing but ignition trouble, Good thing I have a friend who has a machine shop, Took us 3 hours to get a reliable ignition. I will never buy another. Shooting black powder.
Take it for what its worth,
Stant

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
While the T/C is probably the better of the two, I bought a Traditions PA Pellet rifle last year and had no issues with it. Had it to the range several times and once I learned what I was doing (I was a newbie), I had no issues.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
There is somebody on the Want to Buy forum looking. And two people responded. Maybe you can get the second one? One in Meadville, one in Washington.
Firestorm Thread

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought a traditions PA Pellet and the gun works great. Have been at the range several times and have nit had any miss fires. Fairly quick ignitions and it holds a 2in group at 100yds. this was my first traditions gun I purchased and for the money its not a bad weapon. Cabelas has them with the ready pack for 400 now.

·
Registered
781 Posts
It seems that people with the newer Traditions muzzleloaders are happy with them. The early ones that I had the opportunity to shoot were not impressive. They had cheap plastics sights and the locks did work well. I have been around a bunch of TCs and Lymans and currently own two TC Renegades (which I like very much). However, my advice would be to buy a Lyman. I think they have the best lock and that is kind of important on a flintlock.

·
Registered
20,863 Posts
I bought a firestorm for my son about 2 years ago.I figured I better pick one up while I still could.It turned out to be a piece of garbage.The trigger took two men and a small boy to pull it and the lock had tons of play in it.I practically gave it away.Unless you go custom,there aren't many options out there.Lyman is probably the best choice for a reasonably priced production gun.RMC is now in production but they're around 800 bucks.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
410-er said:
Any of the Lymans
TC Hawken
TC Renegade

this right here! I would add cva to list myself. although I don't own any production guns anymore, most of us "old timers" started out with them and they were and are good, reliable guns. if I were looking to get into this sport, that is what I would be looking for. one of the older, wood stocked lyman's, cva's, t/c's. there are not cheap, but not badly priced, and I think you are getting a lot better quality with them than the new guns. plus, after you have been bitten by the bug, you will probably make money on it when you sell it to pay for your new custom rifle. there are several on the guns for sale web sites.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I handled a Lyman Trade Rifle, at Mahoning Milling In Punxsutawney, today. Built like A tank but came up nicely. Didn`t try the Trigger but I believe It would make a dandy Pa. Deer chaser for late season.

·
Registered
20,863 Posts
If I were just dabbling today,I'd pick up a Lyman deer stalker for around $400.I had a renegade when I started in 1986.I sold it and bought an RMC SEVERAL YEARS AGO WHEN THEY WERE AROUND $400.I really like my RMC but not sure I'd be willing to shell out $800 for one.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts